Go Back   TechArena Community > Software > Windows Software
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 24-06-2009

What are pros and cons of NTFS

I had just formatted my computer. I am thinking to upgrade my operating system from windows xp to windows vista. Here I had two choices at the time of formatting. Either I can keep the FAT format or convert it to NTFS. I want need some advice on this. What are the benefits and disadvantages of NTFS. If I go for NTFS it must not harm my old software's and data.
Old 24-06-2009

Re: What are pros and cons of NTFS

NTFS stands for New Technology File System. It is an standard file system of windows nt. It is readable by windows xp, windows 200 and windows server 2003. Here windows 95, 98, 98SE and ME cannot read it. You cannot load this operating system on NTFS. It is just a replace of FAT file system which gives you a faster and better performance of using your hard drive. It is increase the reliability and disk space utilization. If do not want older version of windows like windows 98 then go for it.
Old 24-06-2009

FAT is an older version and NTFS is a new one. NTFS has more supports more additional features of windows vista that FAT does not support. It is recommended for security features. It also provides faster drive access. Always use windows cd to create partition and to define the type. If you try to use any third part tool it can make your system unstable.
Old 24-06-2009

The main difference if FAT and NTFS is that other operation system, other than windows will not work on it. It is the trade secret of Microsoft. But you will need to remember that after converting your windows to NTFS you cannot load windows 98 in that. If you have any older software which work on FAT then it will not work on NTFS. Before partitioning just read the properties of software's in details. Vista is the latest windows os. So it has multiple new compatibility issue with the older software.

TechArena Community > Software > Windows Software
Tags: , , , , , ,