Thread: How to convert gho file to vhd

How to convert gho file to vhd

I have a backup of my system in .gho format. I had taken backup in symantec ghost software. I want to convert the same .gho file to .vhd file. How can I do this. For back up and recover I want to perform the above action. I want a complete procedure and tools which can help to convert .gho file to .vhd file. Thanks in advance.

Re: How to convert gho file to vhd

Here is a quick way to convert Symantec Ghost file to Microsoft Virtual Hard Drive. You do not require any setup of a virtual machine here. You will need a VHDMount utility for this. It is a part of Microsoft Virtual server. To convert a .gho file to vhd file follow the instructions :
    1. First prepare an empty vhd file. Use Microsoft Virtual PC or Microsoft Virtual Server to make a new .vhd file.
    2. Then mount the empty .vhd file as local drive VHDMount Utility. Use this : -
    3. vhdmount /p /f image.vhd
    4. A message will pop-up denoting that the virtual hard disk is plugged in successfully.
    5. Then copy the .gho file to .vhd file.
    6. Go to the sysmantec ghost folder and look for Ghost32 Utility. Run it. Here you can restore the .gho file to any of the local drive by Ghost32 Utility.
    7. Choose the location of mounted vhd file.
    8. Then after the transfer process do not choose restart and exit the Ghost32 utility.
    9. Unmount the VHD file by VHDMount utility.

Download VMware vCenter tool to convert the gho file to vhd file. It is a freeware tool. It provides you an easy to use solution for migrating the backup of systems. It works for both physical to virtual and virtual to virtual. It is an best solution for mass migration. It has an wizard which guides the user for the complete process.

I had tried this solution hope it can help you also. Locate the winimage. Then boot your vpc image with a new empty hard drive. This empty drive is the vhd location. Here insert the bootable gho cd and ghost boot flopy as required. Then restore the .gho directly to the empty vhd drive. I believe this will work for you.