Thread: Differences between rich text and plain text format

Differences between rich text and plain text format

I had installed Windows Xp as my operating system. I would like to know that what is the differences between a rich text and plain text format? Can any body provide me the correct definition on the above issue? I always have a doubt between the two format, so in order to clear my doubts i would like to know it? kindly provide me the correct information on the above issue.

Re: Differences between rich text and plain text format

Plain text is nothing but a simple text. It looks same as you can see it in a high-level editor like MS Word or a basic text editor like Notepad or a Hex editor.

While, Rich Text can be used for basic formatting, like bold, italics, and underlines, alignment and color. However, when you looked at a Rich Text document in a Notepad, it will be get displayed in raw formatting codes.

The majority of my writing is now done in Plain Text. Plain text forces me to concentrate on just the writing during the draft stages. According the following definition goes something like this:-

Plain Text:- A plain text message is an email message that does not include colors, fonts or formatting. It is the most basic type of email that is easily readable by all e-mail clients today. It does not support pictures displayed directly in the message body (although you can include them as attachments).

Rich Text:- Outlook Rich Text Format (RTF) is a Microsoft format that only some e-mail programs understand, mainly the Microsoft Office Outlook clients. You can use RTF when sending messages within a company that uses Microsoft Exchange Server (i.e. OSU). RTF supports text formatting, including bullets, alignment, and links.

When composing a message with Word as your email editor you have the option of creating a message in Plain Text, Rich Text or HTML Format. If you think that Word is not your email editor, then you can select the Format menu in the email and click the format you would like to use such as Plain Text, Rich Text, or HTML.

jalanbk Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Glenny View Post
    The majority of my writing is now done in Plain Text. Plain text forces me to concentrate on just the writing during the draft stages. According the following definition goes something like this:-

Plain Text:- A plain text message is an email message that does not include colors, fonts or formatting. It is the most basic type of email that is easily readable by all e-mail clients today. It does not support pictures displayed directly in the message body (although you can include them as attachments).

Rich Text:- Outlook Rich Text Format (RTF) is a Microsoft format that only some e-mail programs understand, mainly the Microsoft Office Outlook clients. You can use RTF when sending messages within a company that uses Microsoft Exchange Server (i.e. OSU). RTF supports text formatting, including bullets, alignment, and links.

That's correct, you can not have formatting in Plain text .. whereas you can do formatting of text in Rick text ... Rich text format is adviced over .doc as RTF have less chance to get virus in file...