Thread: Program Icons Not Added to Desktop

Program Icons Not Added to Desktop

Just re-installed XP Home SP2 (did complete reformat) but when I re-install each program it's icon is not always added to my desktop. I've been creating a shortcut to the program (in the Program Files folder) then copying the shortcut to my desktop (or Quick Launch bar) - but it's a pain and didn't have to do it before the re-install.

Is there a setting I've missed ??

Re: Program Icons Not Added to Dexktop

When you have completed the installation of any software, on the finish page it always asks if you want to put a shortcut on the desktop. See for the software that you install in future, remember to check this option box if it is not checked by default, before clicking on Finish button. All the best!

Re: Program Icons Not Added to Desktop

It is not as tedious job as your are thinking. Whenever you run a setup, the program ask to create a short cut on the desktop. Just tick on the box and give next. Then second solution your can try is go to start menu and right click on the program whose shortcut you want to place on the desktop, click on send to and select desktop.

What type of account you using? Admin account ? IF limited account then May be the user account is restricted . If you want to change the users Account privileges you'll need to go into admin account and change the privileges to what you want in this case a Full Administrator Privileges.

The icons on the desktop of the program you install is depends on the the user (means : you) this might be a that you are unchecking the desktop icon or is that you need to check the desktop icon. All you just need to do is that you need to check the icon/shortcut to the desktop.

Hope this helps you....!

Thank you all for your suggestions/insights.

I am using the Admin account - I'm the only user of my PC.

I have always (for the last 21 years) 'checked' the install option to place icons on the desktop. I've paid special attention because many times the install wants to put icons in the 'start' menu which I don't want - only on the desktop).

After many Windows installations (3.11, ME, and now XP Home), this is the first time there has been a question of icons appearing.

I realize it isn't a big deal to create shortcuts ... it's just that it hasn't been necessary gefore.

Thanks again or the timely responses.