Thread: Suspicious activity by mcproxy.exe

SADIQ Guest

Suspicious activity by mcproxy.exe

I have a computer with Windows XP, I just got a new ADSL connection. As soon as i connect my LAN cable and turn on the internet, my browsing stops, Also when i netstat in command prompt i see that the file mcproxy.exe is listening on more then 20 ports. What file is this? how do i delete this file. This problem remains for about 15 minutes, then mcproxy.exe stops listening on many ports and then i can browse the internet. Can anyone help me please??

Re: Suspicious activity by mcproxy.exe

Mcproxy.exe is a file of McAfee Antivirus package. It is McAfee's Proxy server module. May be McAfee is trying to update itself, when you connect to the internet. McAfee is a reputed Antivirus and it cannot be a virus. Do you have McAfee Installed on your computer? Or some virus is just faking the filename on your computer? Check it out!

SADIQ Guest

I have McAfee installed on my computer. May be it is trying to get itself update as you said, but everytime i connect to the internet? This is what is making me tensed. Is this activity normal? I don't want to get the virus and kind of stuff in my computer... Just trying to avoid the risk...

It may be this way : McAfee is listening to on those ports to detect and avoid any suspicious activity on these ports and wants your computer to be safe before you connect your computer with the Internet. Its a big place, and prevention is better can cure...!