Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

What is Excel's equivalent file for Word's normal.dot

Windows Software

Old 13-06-2009

What is Excel's equivalent file for Word's normal.dot

I need to find what is the equivalent file in Excel as compared to normal.dot file in Word. Actually, I have created some files with normal.dot in Word in my old machine and I need to copy them in Excel in my new machine. As a result, I need the equivalent file in Excel as Word's normal.dot file.
Is there an Excel equivalent to Word's normal.dot ?

Old 13-06-2009

Re: What is Excel's equivalent file for Word's normal.dot

I think there doesn't really exists an Word's normal.dot's equivalent file for Excel. Instead, Excel uses a couple of template files.

Book.xlt and Sheet.xlt, both these files are located in the XLStart folder. The book.xlt file is used as the basis for new workbooks when the user hits the New Icon on the standard toolbar. Sheet.xlt is used as the basis for new worksheets added to existing workbooks.
Old 13-06-2009

Excel's version for normal.dot doesn't exist automatically. However, it's possible, you need to create it...set up a workbook with all the settings,colors that you want as your standard normal.dot and save the file under the name book.xlt which is the excel template file at the following path:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\XLSTART\
(You need to find the correct location for your XLSTART directory, as it might not be exactly as I put above).

Then whenever you create a new workbook, it will use book.xlt as the template.
Old 13-06-2009

Use ".xst", it's an excel template file that is similar to normal.dot in Word. Find book.xlt, it's in the XLSTART directory.

TechArena Community > Software > Windows Software
Tags: ,