Thread: Transfer mkv files external hard drive

Transfer mkv files external hard drive

Hi,
    I had some movie in my laptop copied by one of my colleague. Due to space problem I had decided to move them to an external hard drive. The approximate size of the file is around 30 gigabytes. When I connected the drive and started the moving process a error message pop out saying that the files are too big for the destination. Also the files are not playing in windows media player. The extension of file is .mkv. Never heard about this. Other than this my usb hard drive is a new device with free space of 160 Gb. But other files are copying properly. Help me.

Re: Transfer mkv files external hard drive

MKV is container which is provided by Matroska. It is supports a multiple number of audio and video formats including the subtitles. It is an container which holds multiple format like avi and mkv inside it. It is unreadable by windows player. You will need to convert it into any other format or the simple solution is to play it with vlc player. The mkv is an open standard container available freely. The most enhanced feature of this format that it can hold a multiple number of audio and video including the subtitles tracks inside a single file. There hundreds of third party tools available on the internet which plays the file.

There is no problem with your hard drive. Only thing is needed is proper formatting of the drive. I guess you do not have any data in it. If you have then copy paste is some where else for a short moment of time. Then connect your drive go to my computer. Right click on the drive and click on format. In the box select NTFS and click on format. Once it is formatted then the files while go easily in your drive.

To play the file you can use media player classic. As it can not be played in windows player. There are many tools you can download form the internet. I am using MKV AVI Converter. I normally convert my all files in avi which is windows readable format. On the other hand .avi is most popular and common formats today. So multiple applications support it.

similar problem that I had.