Thread: Password Protect Screensaver grayed out

Password Protect Screensaver grayed out

Hi,
    I have 2 user accounts in my comp which is used by some other person after my shift. I am the admin in user account. Here one thing I noticed when I enter the Display properties dialog box and in the screen saver tab the box where I had tick to password protect the screen save it is not working. I cannot remove the tick because it is grayed out. How can I make solve this issue. I believe my system is affected by some virus threats because of which this happened. No idea about this. Need Help.

Re: Password Protect Screensaver grayed out

The most simple cause of this problem is any malware affecting your system group policy settings. It is very important to run a full system scan and keep your firewall always on. The group policies can also be altered by the users. It has all control access policies which determines the control of any programs. It can be restored back by the following steps.
    • Go to Start Menu > Click on Run
    • In the Run dialog box type gpedit.msc and hit enter.
    • A group policy editor window will pop-up.
    • In that Navigate to the path - User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Control Panel > Display
    • Look out for Password Protect the screen saver and double click on it.
    • Choose not configured.
    • Exit all application and restart your system.

To enable the option of password protect screen saver you will have edit the registry keys. It is possible from there. But first take a backup of the registry file. In case of any error you can restore it back. To do so press windows key + R from the key board. In the box type regedit.exe and click on OK. Go to the following path - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Control Panel\Desktop. In the desktop folder right click on ScreenSaverIsSecure and delete it. Then go to - HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Control Panel\Desktop. Same in the desktop folder right click on ScreenSaverIsSecure and delete it. To take effect restart your system.

You system is affected by a virus. These virus had configured your group policy setting because of which you are facing this problem. I will suggest you to run a full system scan in safe mode. Before running the scan disable the system restore utility for a temporary purpose. Delete all the files related to virus. You can track that in the result of scan. Run a search process for the name of file. Then enable the system restore utility and restore your system back.

casper0191 Guest

First try to run A full antivirus scan with a updated antivirus of course in safe mode. Then do what the comment no.1 tells you.