Thread: Very poor performance of ATi Drivers

Very poor performance of ATi Drivers

I had suggested an gaming pc to an colleague. He purchased the same config which I told him. He is using Sapphire ATI 5850 1GB gpu. This card is right now working on Catalyst 11.4. Just recently for better performance I had updated the version to 11.6. Till yet there are not much issues. But as I run the update there was performance issue. I did not some changes in the settings and rebooted my system. The games started lagging in between. Anyhow I was forced to downgrade Catalyst back to 11.4. It took me really a long time, to remove the same under safe mode and then re-install the old back and configure settings. I was very much annoyed by the new driver update which spoiled my entire settings. This time I am not going to run any upgrade. Does anyone notice the same.

Re: Very poor performance of ATi Drivers

Atleast your card is working. There was more major issue here. I ran the update and on reboot the system lagged like hell. I was using firefox to view videos, the browser just freezes. I found the issue was directly related to my gpu. As my ram and cpu is very low utilized. This is because of hardware acceleration used by the web browsers to run videos. I played some game and screwed up there also. Very poor video output and constant lag. Later when nothing appeared, I sent the card for replacement. I am sure the bug is related to my gpu not with the drivers. There are certail tools that can diagnose your gpu memory. Run them and test it. Sometime a better firmeware and bios update do fix the issue.

A gpu draws more power when you play games our use graphic applications. Check that you have enough psu support. The new drivers much definitely boost the performance which caused the mess.

Not really the issue is due to drivers. There are many things here which are needed to configured. At first go in safe mode and remove your old drivers. Get rid of them. Get the most working version read with you. Run the same and install a gpu temperature monitoring software. Check the status of your card. It heats too instantly then the card is not proper. You must show the same to the service center to get a replacement of the same. If not then, other thing comes it the slot. Change the slot and then check. And last comes the power supply which directly affects the entire systems performance. For high end games read the system requirement before playing.

I don't see much difference between ATi and Nvidia cards. I am right now using an Nvida gpu whch is more than 2 years old. The performance is stable and proper. I even update my drivers regularly no issues. So that can be a faulty card which is causing problem.

I am quiet happy with Ati. I use HD 5870 gpu and from last 7 months there is no issues. For incompatible drivers you must report the same to ATi to get an quick fix.

There is an option called Roll back drivers in Windows. Go in Device Manager and right click on the graphic card. Then right click on properties and then go in Drivers section. There click on Roll back drivers. Windows will restore your old drivers on your system which was working. Use the most appropriate drivers and also look for appropriate compatibility. Because due to compatibility also some drivers cause errors. Always download and install drivers from official site only.