Thread: Excel 'unrecognizable format' error in Vista

Excel 'unrecognizable format' error in Vista

I am getting this error with one of my Excel workbook. I am new to Vista. So i dont know the problem is with my workbook or vista. This workbook contains my useful database and I have been using this over a period of years. it was working fine with Xp but when i tried to open it on my new OS, it gives me message that "the file is an unrecognizable format". What is the problem and how can i fix this error ? Please help.

Re: Excel 'unrecognizable format' error in Vista

What i can suggest is make a copy of the file and run Microsoft Application recovery. You can find it under MicroSoft/Offfice/Microsoft Office Tools in the Start menu. Or try to open the file directly from any other opened excel file by pressing Ctrl + O instead of opening directly from desktop. Hope this will work. If not than try chkdsk.right click on the drive, select properties,for the option. if you can enable to start,chkdsk on next boot, then select it and reboot.

Re: Excel 'unrecognizable format' error in Vista

you can also try this. Go to control panel than Default Programs and select 'Associate a filetype or protocol with a Program' option. Scroll down to the desired file type to use with Excel. Highlight it, and click the "Change program" button and Select Excel.