Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Client Operating system freezing often in VMware workstation 8

Client Operating system freezing often in VMware workstation 8

I installed beta 8 now and I'm noticing that the client operating system becomes unresponsive and hesitating (i.e., you click something and have to wait 3-5 seconds for the system to respond.) The response does not occur in all applications in the virtual machine. It always comes back, but just waits.

This virtual machine was used at 7.1 for long w/o problems. There are plenty of available space on the host and VM RAM. Indeed, it appears to do 8 is way less RAM usage. The host is Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit. The virtual machine is running Windows XP.Host 12 GB RAM, VM set to 1 GB.Any ideas or other populace reporting comparable?

Re: Client Operating system freezing often in VMware workstation 8

Why install the beta version, which expires at the end of the month when the full version was published 2 days ago?

I guess I have no beta. Someone told me about working with the beta was available; I upgraded my license and download VMware 8.The current version number is 8.0.0 build-471 780.

The default settings are preferences / "Allow some virtual memory to be exchanged." Switch to "Set the virtual memory ", this could be a reason why it uses less memory and yields a freezing point.

To accelerate research, we need more information:
    1. Updated to the workstation 8 "or a fresh install?
    2. Could you please include Log in user interface (Help-> about-> log file for the user interface) and the file directory of the virtual machine vmware.log.

I ran the uninstall to install VMWare 7.1 8 during the process. It was a completely clean. It is really odd. The mouse still moves around but I am not able to click on anything. If a process is running I can see it freeze. Task Manager in the client is not showing excessive CPU activity.

i got exactly same difficulty
    • It runs on a Ubuntu server host
    • No difficulty with 7.1
    • Enhanced from 7.1 to 8 (not clean install)
    • Superior hardware XP virtual machine
    • freezes for 1 second in 10-20sec

Just open Task Manager and see the CPU graph travel and see places. Worked with 7.1 without any troubles! Please help!

Same here unfortunately
    • VMware Workstation running on Windows 7 Ultimate x64
    • No difficulty with version 7.1.
    • enhanced Windows XP virtual machine to version 8.
    • Now the operating system freezes frequently, followed by a large spike in the CPU.
    • The freezing happens almost every time he goes from the server operating system for the VM operating system.

same trouble.
    • * Dell Precision T3500 Workstation (Xeon 3520), 12 GB of RAM, x64 Win7 Company
    • * No problems 7.1.x VMW
    • * Update 7.1.x
    • * The same symptoms through different guest OS (W2k3, WinXP, Win7, Linux)
    • * After reboot the guest system to function normally for a while
    • * When there are more applications running on guest symptoms appear almost immediately (the display does not properly refreshink, blinking, application freezing, you cannot minimize or move windows)

To solve the trouble. I did following things. But it didn’t help me much.
    • I tried to uninstall 8.0 and do a fresh install new
    • I also tried to remove "hiding" directory for each virtual machine
    • I also wondered if in some way related to the display driver, so I tried to install the latest version
    • And finally I tried to install 8.0 on other hardware it was never installed any version of VMW

I have the same opinion. All information in VMware on this issue would be good. I hope VMware support will reply my as soon as possible.

I'm using 7.1 and it has the same problem despite others that have said that the problem does not exist with 7.1. However, I tried something that was suggested on another forum and it definitely worked for me. My suspicion is that it will also work with version 8. The problem has disappeared completely and the system is now very stable.

Home brew System:
    Vista 64
    i9550
    500gig sata
    8 gig RAM
    2 monitors on Geforce 9600
    VM guest - all flavors

Symptom comparison:
    Plenty of ram and disk allocated to VM Guest (not a problem)
    no excessive CPU even noticeable on host nor guest when 3-5 second freeze occurs.

Cure:
    After starting the guest VM, disconnect from the host CD/DVD.

In full screen mode, select VM=> Removable Devices=> cd/dvd=> disconnect.

or in non FS mode select the CD/DVD icon from the lower right corner and disconnect there.
    In mine it complained that the VM was using the resource, but I disconnected anyway with no ill effects at all.

Good Luck
    Last edited by Boiorix; 02-10-2011 at 07:27 AM.

In the above post, disconnecting from the cd/dvd worked for me, but I forgot to add the analysis that I think the problem stems from the VM guest waiting synchronously for some I/O event with the real world to complete.

As an example if in the workstation settings you chose to connect the cd/dvd to an .iso on a local disk or thumb drive still present, you might not experience the problem. In my case I was connected to a cd/dvd without any media present, so the VMWare synchronously freezes the guest, as it waits for a response, as it tries to read the media that is not present.

This does seem to be a bug because a real live system connected directly to hardware would not cause the freeze for a similar situation.

Before googling this issue that I was also having, I had already tried disconnecting the CD/DVD, but that did not work. So, after googling it, reading this forum seeing how disconnecting CD/DVD worked for other people and thinking at least I was on the right track, I expanded on the theory and I went ahead and deleted CD/DVD device, and deleted a few other devices and disabled and disconnected a few other devices until I thought I had disabled a bunch of stuff. I also turned off 3D acceleration.

So, I took a shotgun to the devices and accelerations and stuff. Result? That worked. No more freezes. Someday I'll whittle down which one it was, by necessity, as I reluctantly turn on each one that I need for some particular purpose.

Thanks for this forum thread. Even though the prior solution was something I already tried, it confirmed that I was on the right track, so I just kept going, and it worked.

Before fixing it, about every 10 seconds it was freezing for about 15 seconds. There would be no disc or CPU activity during the freeze that I could discern. It would also lock up my host as well, to varying degrees, very often locking up X Windows and the keyboard at least. So it was not a good thing to be happening on my combo server/desktop system that I also use for video playback and Asterisk phone system for my and one of my works' business and personal things, and LAN router, and a few other server tasks.

Versions:

HOST:
    OS Kernel: Linux kernel 3.2.1
    OS options: I went full 64 bit, everywhere, as far as I could go.
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E7500 @ 2.93GHz
    (had to upgrade from non-VT E7400 two days ago ... ARGH US$140)
    VIDEOCARD: AMD nee ATI RV710 [Radeon HD 4350]
    RAM: 12GB
    (I bought 8GB last night trying to fix this ... which didn't work ...
    well, it sped it up a bunch! US$150 (ouch)
    Now I have a fast unfreezing system ...)

VMWARE:
    VMware-Workstation-Full-8.0.2-591240.x86_64, with
    VMware Player 4.0.2 build-591240
    (after settling down, I'm going back to free VMWare Player)

Virtualized Guest OS:
    Windows 7 Professional (US$140)
    Service Pack 1
    64-bit Operating System
    all updates installed
    5GB RAM

So I spent US$430 getting my boss's printer to work, which required Microsoft, and I went the VMWARE route. Not sure I was better off not getting a new computer. Argh. Well at least I ended up with more memory, and maybe keeping my job.

Update:

I now only get microfreezes, every half minute or so, for about half a second. Much better than before, but still not all the way there yet.

Would be nice to know a list of things that cause freezes and their basic resolutions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast