Thread: Can't insert cells in Excel

Can't insert cells in Excel

Hi, i am using MS office 2003. I have a worksheet on which i am trying to insert some column and rows. But excel is not allowing me to do so.It gives me a message saying, To prevent possible loss of data, Excel cannot shift non-blank cells off the worksheet. What is that ? How can i insert cells in this worksheet ?

Re: Can't insert cells in Excel

This error occurs when the option Nothing (hide objects) is selected in the Display options for this workbook section in the Excel Options dialog box. try this: Go to Advanced option and Scroll down to the Display options for this workbook section, and then click All under For objects, show and then click OK. Hope this will work and if not than it sound like the worksheet is in sharing. Just unshare it and try inserting cell. You can make it unshare, from Tools > Share Workbook.

it may be the cause of hidden cells in the worksheet.When you insert a column then Excel shifts columns right to the new column rightward deleting the last column because the total No of columns has to remain 256Excel cannot shift non-blank cells off the worksheet.Excel 2003 has a 65K row capacity and in Excel 2007 they pushed it up to 1M rows. This error means you insert rows, existing rows will have to be pushed off the maximum limit. This is done to prevent you from losing rows by mistake. Try to locate the last non-blank cell by pressing CTRL+END and delete or clear all cells in between the last cell and the end of your data. Then select cell A1 and save your workbook to reset
    the last cell used.

Follow these steps:If you have used 4000 rows then clear the contents of row 1000 to 4000, Excel still thinks you are using 4000 rows. If the object is a cell comment, select the cell that contains the comment, right-click the cell, and then click Show Comment or Show/Hide Comments. Move the pointer to the edge of the object until the pointer changes into a white arrow with four small black arrows on the pointer. Then, click the object name on the Format menu.In the Format dialog box, click the Properties tab. Click Move and size with cells, and then click OK.