Thread: Exchange 2007: how would you move a mailbox

Exchange 2007: how would you move a mailbox

I am moving company's mail boxes from Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2007. I need help in doing my operation. Can you provide me all the steps to achieve the same? I think I missed some step some where and I unable to rectify what during performing the operation. Please me!

Basically the problem is that as soon as I do all my operations during mailbox transfer, it says it is unable to transfer mailboxes of some user.

Re: Exchange 2007: how would you move a mailbox

To move mailboxes from Exchange 2003 directly to Exchange 2007, you can use the Move Mailbox wizard or the Move-Mailbox cmdlet. However you cannot use the Exchange System Manager or Active Directory Users and Computers to move mailboxes from Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2007.

If you move a mailbox from Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2007, and the mailbox is part of an e-mail address policy, the e-mail addresses for that mailbox will be automatically updated based on the configuration of the e-mail address policy. If the mailbox had a primary Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP) address that differs from the e-mail address enforced by the e-mail address policy, that SMTP address will become a secondary SMTP address and the e-mail address generated by the e-mail address policy will become the primary SMTP address. This behavior is different from Exchange 2003 and Exchange 2000. In Exchange 2003 or Exchange 2000, the e-mail address policy is not applied to a mailbox when it is moved. To prevent accidentally changing the primary SMTP address of a mailbox in an Exchange 2007 environment, you must configure the mailbox so that is does not automatically update e-mail addresses based on e-mail address policy. To configure Exchange 2003 or Exchange 2000 mailboxes, in Active Directory Users and Computers, right-click the recipient, and then select Properties. On the E-mail Addresses tab, clear the Automatically update e-mail addresses based on e-mail address policy check box.

Using Move Mailbox Wizard:

1. Right click on a mailbox and choose the Move Mailbox command.

2. When the Move Mailbox Wizard starts, select the database to which you want to move the mailbox.

3. Click Next and the wizard will ask you to skip the corrupt email, instead of skipping the entire mailbox. If you don't know, don't select anything and by default Exchange will select a global catalog server and a domain controller.

5. Click Next and the wizard will ask for the scheduled date/time to move. The default option is immediately.

6. Click Move to begin.

7. Click Finish to complete the operation.

You can also use powershell command to move the mailboxes. Use the move-mailbox cmdlet with the -GlobalCatalog parameter and -TargetDatabase parameter for the target database location. This way, you will be able to access the mailbox almost immediately after the move.