Thread: Help with video editing formats

Help with video editing formats

Hi: I have studied and worked and finally need some answers. First off, after ripping a dvd section, and then trying to edit it, It seems that I cant use movie maker for a BIg reason! It takes the ripped mpeg files, but when you publish it ,,it comes out as avi, or wmv? What is the point of taking an mp4 , pushing quality down to edit, only to bring it back worse than the mp4?????
    Am I missing something or what? Do I need a new video editor,(cyberlink)
    which will take the edited file and keep it in mpeg format,(for youtube)?
    Somebody set me straight on this, as then I will have all the power I need to make PERFECT youtube videos. Thanks
    Howard

Re: Help with video editing formats

You might want to look at this: AVS Toolkit
    If you don't mind spending $70 they have a massive suite of software. You can buy them individually as well, but for the money what's the point. You can download trial versions to check out, but until you register it leaves a watermark on the finished product.

There are also best software barnone and that is Ulead Video Studio 11 Plus. I love it, I create anime music videos on youtube and am able to do all kinds of cool effects and master edits. It is reasonably priced and easy to navigate.

Hi,
    You need a good video editing software.
    I have used adobe premier pro & its best. (I hope you have a good graphic card for rendering & good quality). If the purpose is only for youtube videos then I don't think you need a professional card & software. For professional purpose Pinnacle & FCP (Final Cut Pro - Mac OS) are also available.
    You can try Cyberlink but I don't have any Idea about it.

Better start learning about all the different formats & their quality & the free media format converters available on the internet.

I hope this helps.

What is the point of taking an mp4 , pushing quality down to edit, only to bring it back worse than the mp4?????
    To compress its size.

If you don't know the procedure properly refer to this guide : http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u.../addmusic.mspx

Mp4 mainly required for portable players like apple ipod the quality of mp4 can be control by software as you reduced size quality will get degrade i use winAVI mp4 converter and best for me. in case for youtube videos wihich uses .flv file it has much less picture quality than mp4 i dont like to store my any video in flv.

Ultra QuickTime Converter is a powerful tool to help you convert QuickTime MOV, QT, MP4, M4V files to AVI, DivX, Xvid, MPEG1, MPEG2, VCD, SVCD, DVD, WMV, MP4, 3GP, FLV format.

With the fast and powerful QuickTime video decoder inside, Ultra QuickTime Converter supports almost all MOV, QT, MP4, M4V files, even QuickTime Player has not been installed.

Download Ultra QuickTime Converter V3.2

Thank you all for informative answers. I would just like to make myself a bit clearer. When I RIP my video segment,,it gives me option to convert FIRSt
    to mpeg format, which I do. NOW, to edit, I go to movie maker, and do my work, put to publish,,,I NEED MPEG 4 or 2 or mp4 apple,,and MOVIE Maker doesnot do this. So, as a few of you said,,,,I NEEE A VIDEO EDITOR that will edit and convert the original file back to mpeg? NO???????????????????????
    (I assume once original dvd to mpeg conversion is done,,,,any change back
    to wmv or dvd format , will change quality of original mpeg file, which I have indeed, seen myself).
    Please confirm that what I am saying is indeed, correct?

Hello,
    I think you got us wrong. (You don't need converter if your video editor supports various formats. In your case mp4.) Converting mp4 to mpeg for editing & again taking it back to mp4 wont make any difference but will degrade the video quality.
    See first of all you are editing your videos movie maker which is a video maker provided by windows itself & it gives you output in WMV & AVI format.
    Again its not a high end video editor.
    If you are really concern with the output quality of the product then ill suggest you to start using a good video editor software other than movie maker.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...iting_software
    This will be helpful to know the various video editing software's available & you can also search them for free downloads.
    I use Adobe Premiere Pro for video editing. (pinnacle & FCP are best.) If you learn about video formats & their conversion then I think you will solve your problem on your own. There are many tutorials available on the internet.
    I hope this helps.

I am having a similar situation with editing. I just got a sanyo xacti that shoots 1920x180 @ 60fps to an sd card.
    I simply copy the files to the computer. It comes with Nero 8.
    Problem is when I try to watch the video for editing it is glitchy. I tried exporting the files and the program only allows 1920x1080 30fps. These files DO play back smoother but at a loss of 30fps.
    Im not sure what I should expect.
    Would a Full version Nero or another popular editing program allow the full 60 fps.?
    What I need is a good procedure for editing in what format, when and should I export any of these files and where in this process I can expect my hardware or software to be the limiting factor in quality. I would like to have the final result be as high quality as I can. I would like to put the files on BlueRay when I get one. I would like to take advantage of the stunning clarity of the 1080p the camera records and see that on my HiDef tv.
    I do see in earlier replies the comments about "Good video editors " but my question to that is , how on the most basic task of putting a file from camera, to disk are they better. Or are they just more feature rich for authoring compilations ?

Using a full version of any software will give you more options while editing the Videos. But to get the same resolution at 60fps you will need a good graphics adapter which will be able to create the same image as of the camera.