Thread: VR mode vs Video mode

VR mode vs Video mode

hello friends,

I want to know, what is the difference between the VR mode and Video mode when recording the DVDs. Which mode is better for giving the better performance when played on the player ? Please give some necessary information regarding the same.....
    thanks

Re: VR mode vs Video mode

VR mode means Video Recording mode. I think VR mode and Video mode is one and the same thing.

No, it cannot be same because it gives me the option to choose between - VR mode and Video mode before recording the DVDs. Can somebody else please help me with the relevant information...

VR mode (or Video Recording mode) is designed such that the DVD can work kind of a hard-drive, in which you can erase parts of recordings and reuse the space. Since it is a newer format not many DVD Players will play discs recorded this way. However, it supports defect management.

Video mode is designed to create a DVD that can play in the most of the DVD players. There are no editing features Also, it doesn't support defect management. DVD-RAM can't be used this way as it is physically incompatible with DVD Video players anyway.

DVD-RW is the only format that can use both Video mode and VR mode.

When I record a disc, there are two modes. The first is VR. In VR, it says that this can be used for DVD-RW and the discs can be recorded and edited repeatedly, can be played back in other DVD-RW compatible players. The second is Video. In Video, it says that this can be used for DVD-R and DVD-RW, can be played back with other DVD players, record, edit and playback of an unfinalized disc can be done.

I think the Video mode will work in more DVD players.

Video mode - This is a standard DVD Video mode format ( the format in which DVD films come in). Because the DVD Video format was invented before DVDs were recordable it doesn't allow editing on the disc, doesn't support defect management (so not as robust for continuous everyday recording and wiping), if you delete a title you may not get the space back without completely erasing the disc, and needs a finalise step to play elsewhere. It works for most DVD Players as it is the same format as commercial DVD films. It can be used on DVD-RW and DVD-R discs, never used DVD-RAM.

VR Mode (also called Video Recording mode): This is a new format that allows editing/deleting titles and getting the total of space of deleted titles back/recording of copy once broadcasts/defect management. It is used by DVD-RAM (DVD-RAM only uses this format) and DVD-RW. Because it is a newer format than DVD Video, it will only playback in modern DVD Players that support it.