Thread: MPI on CMP

MPI on CMP

I am using the MPI which is used for the distribution of the programming but i am having one question regarding the same. I wanted to use the same for making the communication between the threads in cluster of multiprocessor machine and multicore machine but not having enough knowledge about the same. If any one can then please help me with the same. Thanks in advance.

Re: MPI on CMP

If you wanted to make threads work with the MPI-2 then let me tell you that this is not possible. As per my knowledge the MPI implementation on
    Threads inside process in MPI-2 conforming implementation are not consider the thread and different process. If you wanted to make the MPI to communicate with the threads then you have to create the multiple MPI process for Multi Core machine.

If you really wanted to make the message passing then i will advise you to go with the specialized message-passing for SMP/multicore which is having the less overhead for SMP/multicore. It will also allow you to share the constant data and many more other feature. So if you can then go through the same and see whether it is working or not.

If you wanted to use the same then i will advise you to go with the Intel MPI which is already having the affinity scheduling for the task that you wanted to make with the help of the multiple rank per node that will help you for same. So if you like my suggestion then go with the same and see whether it is working for you or not.

If you are unable to get it working with the help of all the above replies then i will advise you to contact the Intel support team regarding the issue which you are going through. As they are the developer so they might be aware which tools to use with the working of the MPI on CMP. I hope that this will help you to resolve the issue of yours.

Intel MPI Library focuses on making applications perform better on Intel architecture-based clusters—implementing the high performance MPI-2 specification on multiple fabrics. It enables you to quickly deliver maximum end user performance even if you change or upgrade to new interconnects, without requiring major changes to the software or operating environment. To know more about the same visit Intel.

I think you have to program the MPI for the working of the same which you are looking for. To work with the program in MPI i will advise you to go with the information given below.

• Prototypes of the functions provided by the library;
    • MPI uses an internal representation of data (this encoding can be different from one another MPI implementation, because of that it is not possible to work two different distributions of MPI programs - there is no standard MPI - different in this PVM);
    • The routines return error codes ;
    • MPI routines begin with MPI_'';
    • The FORTRAN routines are capitalized .

(MPI Message Passing Interface) is a library of message exchanges for homogeneous parallel machines. An application IPM is a set of processes each running its own code (SPMD model) and communicating through calls to subroutines of the library IGH. The forum MPI site is dedicated to MPI, as well as the link to the Argonne. Practical assistance is the handbook describing functions and their implementation. The execution model of an MPI application is the SPMD (Single Program Multiple Data) or the execution of the same program for all processes.