Thread: Winrar: How to change location of temporary files

Winrar: How to change location of temporary files

I'm not even sure if this is possible to get around but every time but when i try and extract a 4gb file using winrar to my D:drive, it creates a temporary file in c:\documents and settings. If i don't have a spare 4gb in my c: the operation aborts and fails. I can see the usage of this on a removable drive but not when i have all files on the same partition.Without manualy changing the "temp file folder" to the same drive as the destination, is there a way to get winrar to automatically use the same drive as the destination for creating its temp file?

Re: Winrar: How to change location of temporary files

As per me, WinRar and WinZip will create a temporary folder on C by default. But you can even change the location of temporary files in Options/Settings/Paths provide what you need. If that doesn't works, Right click on the first rar of the archive and click extract here. Winrar will extract to the exact location of the rars and will not create a temp file.On the other hand it may be a files format problem, if your hard drive is in the FAT32 format 4gig is the maximum folder size.. NTFS format however allows folders as big as the unused part of your hard drive, more info needed makavelli please.

The best fix for this is , Select the files you want to extract in the WinRAR window. Right click on them. Choose "Extract to Specified Folder". Choose the folder you want them to end up in. WinRAR bypasses the temp folder and dumps everything immediately into the folder you choose.you can extract to the folder of your choice if your use the right mouse button to drag and drop. this will directly extract the archive to the destination folder without creating temp files.

You can go for some other program that not creates temporary files, like UltimateZip or Agent_007. If you go with Agent_007, go to options-settings-then the paths tab. Change it to whatever drive you want it.