Thread: Fix windows 98 bad / invalid command error

Fix windows 98 bad / invalid command error

I have one computer which runs on windows 98 on it. I had replaced the CD rom some time before. The system after reboots gives a invalid command error. I switched off the system and then restarted. Again the same error occurred. I check my system thoroughly for any driver issue or any other unwanted applications. Still don't understand about this error. Any one can help out with this error.

Re: Fix windows 98 bad / invalid command error

The error is coming from autoexec.bat. Whenever you start your system it boots up the error is send by autoexec.bat file. To fix the error do this. Reboot your system. Once it is on and windows load on it go to Start Menu > Run > and type sysedit. Now remove the the line autoexec.bat or type REM followed by space. Then exit the application and restart your system.

Just by configuring the msconfig file of windows you not receive the error again. By terminating the process of two files which are related to DOS compatibility the error will stop. When your system boots ups go to Start Menu > Run > and type msconfig. In the window look for two files config.sys and autoexec.bat. Uncheck the two items. Click on OK to apply and restart your windows.

You are getting the error at startup because a autoexec.bat or config.sys has a line which is missing. For the solution you will need to determine which line is missing. Restart your windows 98. At the startup menu select the fourth option Step - By - Step confirmation. After that the computer will prompt you to say yes or no on each command loaded in the system. Give yes till you get error. Note down the line in which you got the error. When the windows load up edit your autoexec.bat or config.sys file by locating the line you noted down. Attempt to correct the line or type REM with space in front of the line.