Thread: Open excel spreadsheets in separate windows

Open excel spreadsheets in separate windows

I am using Microsoft Office on my Xp computer. What i want to know from you all is how to get Excel to open each sheet in a separate window because it really bugs me when I open multiple files and can't spread them across my monitors.I want to open 2 documents that act as completely separate programs, being allowed to more one to a second display, etc. Could you guys help me out for the same ?

Re: Open excel spreadsheets in separate windows

To open 2 or more Excel spreadsheets in separate windows go to Windows Explorer than go to Tools than Folder Options and than click on File Types. Now scroll down to XLS and click Advanced.Select Open, then Edit. Now there is check box mark infront of "Use DDE". Unmark than option. Now Change Application used to perform this action" to
    "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\EXCEL.EXE" "%1"
    Click Ok. Thats it !!

you can try this as well, Open the first workbook any way you want and start a second instance of excel.Now put a shortcut to excel.exe on your desktop and use that.Or go to Tools|options|General tab|Ignore other applications (check it) Then double click on the workbook in windows explorer. And be aware that turning this setting on sometimes gives errors with workbooks that contain spaces in their path/name: C:\my documents\excel\my book.xls

i think if you open two or more Excel files from Windows Explorer at the same time, they will open in separate windows and separate processes. But if you have Excel 2003,Click Window, New Window. Then Click Window, Arrange and select how you want to view them.Once you have the windows side by side, then you can change the page on the active window, very handy for pasting links.