Thread: Download Take Ownership Tool for Vista

Download Take Ownership Tool for Vista

I am running Windows Vista operating system in my Dell Laptop. I want to take ownership of some protected file by the Take Ownership Tool. As i want to make changes in the vista system folder. I will required to delete or modify some services. The system files are protected and do not allow to alter. Where i will get the Take Ownership Tool. Before that, I tried to move or modify by them but vista pop-ups the message of protected file. In a simple way i need the ownership of the files to modify them. How can i do this.

Re: Download Take Ownership Tool for Vista

It is not easy to take ownership of files in windows vista. It is a long and tedious job. But there is an alternative. Bu the Take Ownership tool you can just simply right click and take the owner ship of file. It handles all the step for you which you will need to perform by command prompt or GUI interface. First download the tool by the link below. Install it and right click on the folder or file and choose the option of take owner ship. If you don't want after use you can remove it either from control panel or just clicking uninstall from start menu.
    Download Take Owner ship

In the Windows Vista OS there are multiple files and folder in the system 32 folder are protected. You cannot modify or delete these file. There are related to the crucial system services. Even the administrator does not has full right to access those files.These protected files are owned by TrustedInstaller. Thus when you try to manipulate the file it will give access denied error. Now to take the ownership you will go a long way by right clicking on the file > Properties > Security > Advance > Owner. You will have to perform several clicks. Or another option the command prompt. Numerous commands to access the file. The whole process is linked to gain access to read or write the file. Now the easiest way is to download TakeControlOf software. It is a simple tool which use two command line utilites which modifies your registry and gives you the ownership of files.

Taking ownership of protected files is a real pain. Vista normally assigns the ownership of protected files to TrustedInstaller. By even the Administrators are granted a limited rights. You will have to follow a multiple steps to gain the ownership of file. Just download the below tool. When you will install it, it will add a small option of Take Ownership in the right click on your windows. It updates your registry and provides you the ownership of file. It quiet easy to use also.
    Ownership Tool

I have used this in the past to use my own filed from my old XP based pc but now my cusin brings her laptop with XP but she had a virus and may have had damage to files and folders. I ran it and now I can browse but when I try to open photos and documents for instance it still say no permission to open. Did I miss something or is this likely due to file damage.

Yes this may be because of two reasons the first one is that some dll file are corrupted on your system. For that you have to repair xp installed on your system. The second reason may be that you will be having more than two login ids on your computer system and the administrator has some rights from the user id.

Exclamation Re: Download Take Ownership Tool for Vista

1st off, I cannot get the repair option in XP CD when the HDD is installed in notebook. I can only open and brows when I connect it to a USB to SATA adapter on my desktop. Now I can see the files and folders Take Ownership has unlocked but the actual photos and videos inside I cannot open.

I was able to right click on one & got an option to unlock this file because it was created or moved from another pc. I clicked unlock and it worked but now I can't find the option for all of them. is there another option to batch unlock these instead of one by one?

idea Re: Download Take Ownership Tool for Vista

Quote Originally Posted by Compustein View Post
    1st off, I cannot get the repair option in XP CD when the HDD is installed in notebook. I can only open and brows when I connect it to a USB to SATA adapter on my desktop. Now I can see the files and folders Take Ownership has unlocked but the actual photos and videos inside I cannot open.

I was able to right click on one & got an option to unlock this file because it was created or moved from another pc. I clicked unlock and it worked but now I can't find the option for all of them. is there another option to batch unlock these instead of one by one?
    Update. Forgive the extra post but I couldnt see how to edit or cancel last post.

I was able to run "Take Ownership" inside the my [ictures folders for the sub folders and pix now. It just didn't work if run from the main user profile folder. Is this normal? I couldnt do it from the "My Pictures" folder either. I was noticing scanning ended with some errors so I thin I was loosing power to the mini USB and now when I moved the dock to a rear main USB onboard it worked better. I found that when moving large amounts of files and folders the HDD would spin down and stop till I unlplugged end resumed again.