Thread: How do i assign relationships primary key access

How do i assign relationships primary key access

I would like to know that how do i assign relationships primary key access on my system. if suppose i have two tables where i assign one Table A termed as "EmployeeID" whose type is AutoNumber, whereas in table B would be termed as EmployeeID assign as a foreign key. Now, i would like to assign Table B,the type of EmployeeID should show AutoNumber or Number by creating the relationship between the two tables using their EmployeeID. By the way i know that AutoNumber is not exactly same as number as compare to EmployeeID in this case. Can any body tell em that how can i do so? Does any body knows about it? Kindly provide me the solution for the above issue.

Re: How do i assign relationships primary key access

Primary keys are unique record identifiers that MS Access uses when retrieving information for a query or a report. With primary keys, you can join tables in relationships so that you can query both of them at once. Just follow the below steps mention.

1) Just open a table in Design view.

2) Then click on the Row Selector for each field you want to set for the primary key. The Row Selector is the small box that allows you to select an entire row.

3) Then try to click on the Primary Key icon in the toolbar, or select Primary Key from the Edit menu.

4) If you've selected a field for a Primary Key that already contains data or returns a null value, MS Access will not allow you to create a primary key.

5) You can also edit the data so it's no longer duplicated.

First try to import the table as such without assigning the Primary key. Then open the table in its design view and click the field and then press the button of Primary key from toolbar. On saving the table if access does not allow you to save with primary the most probable cause will be that your field has got duplicate values so check them before going further.

In order to make a foreign key link back to its primary, you must explicitly declare a relationship between the main and secondary tables that links the two fields. Then if you want things to be automatic done, you must use a QUERY that exploits the relationship by having both tables contribute to the query.