Thread: Outlook gives error while opening default email folders and running Scanpst

sad Outlook gives error while opening default email folders and running Scanpst

I was recently given a new computer at work. It's running Win XP Pro sp3 along with Office 2007. We do not use Exchange here. I copied my email onto a CD prior to getting the new one, and transferred everything over without a hitch. Everything worked great. No problems getting email or opening Outlook.

First thing this morning, I try to open up my Outlook and receive the following error: "Cannot open your default e-mail folders. The file C:\Documents and Settings\Jennifer\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.pst is not a personal folders file." I click OK and Outlook closes.

I tried to run Scanpst on the folder, but received another error message: "An error has occurred which caused the scan to be stopped. No changes have been made to the scanned file."

So, I tried system restore to a point when I knew that my email was still working. That didn't fix the problem.

Why would everything work fine for a month and then stop working? Can you think of a way to get that file back? I really need that calendar. My emails are important, but not as much as my calendar.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Yogesh; 19-05-2009 at 08:14 AM. Reason: Title changed as most suitable.

Re: Cannot open default e-mail folders...not a personal file

You can try running scanpst a number of times, if that does not help you may have to create a new pst.

Re: Outlook gives error while opening default email folders and running Scanpst

I had this problem earlier. Actually, I found my answer, which works much better to resolve the issue:
    1. Created a restore point (just in case).
    2. Created a new profile which restores the Local Settings folder which was removed by the Blackberry sync software.
    3. Transferred all Document folder items to new profile.
    4. Deleted old profile.

Issue resolved.

Hope that helps

Also refer this- Vista64 / Outlook 2007 -- "Cannot open your default e-mail folders."