Thread: Vista backup fails? 0x8007045D\ERROR_IO_DEVICE

Vista backup fails? 0x8007045D\ERROR_IO_DEVICE

Right neer the end of the full drive backup from a HD to a portable HD I get the error.

0x8007045D, it means ERROR_IO_DEVICE and there is a page of info here.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/952272/en-us?sd=gn

It writes verry large backup files to the portable drive thats storing the backup. I don't have a space PC to test it by booting it to so I want to be sure that it worked.

Microsoft somehow got away with making every rute to microsoft talk to a person support at least £40.

Is it really likely that the last disk sector on one of the drives is bad and scandisk missed it?
    Last edited by alan2here; 18-05-2009 at 08:46 PM.

Re: Vista backup fails? 0x8007045D\ERROR_IO_DEVICE

just scan with hdd regenerator to recover bad sector that windows scan disk unable to read try this to recover How to fix bad sectors or clusters on hard drive ? also Hard disk bad sector recovery

Thanks for the regenerator, has anyone else used it? is it likely that is the reason for the problem?

Because it sounds verry unlikely that the one disk sector that has failed happens to be the only one scandisk can't manege.

To resolve this problem, follow these steps:
    1. Click Start, type cmd in the Start Search box, right-click cmd.exe in the Programs list, and then click Run as administrator.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.

2. At a command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
      Chkdsk /R X:

Note: In this command, X: is a placeholder that represents the drive letter of the volume that you want to check.

3. Press Y when you are prompted to check the disk the next time that the system restarts.

4. Close all applications, and then restart the computer.

Note: During the restart process, Windows checks the disk for errors, and then Windows starts.

5. After the computer restarts, repeat steps 1 through 4 for the other volume, and then rerun the backup operation.

TY. When I first read that I thought that it was just like the Windows check-disk but in Dos. Done, and I will now try the backup again.

Worked, not sure why, Dos style scan-disk revealed nothing and the Windows one, yet another format of drive thats storing the backup this time a quick format and without a label. Got to love Windows cobbled together at random aproch for making some things into massive problems requiring endless patience.

I don't trust it at all considering it just decided to tell me it's worked dosn't neccerally mean that it did actucally work, it may have just told me by fluke. Is there a way to test it without doing anything major to the disk or needing another PC?

Thanks again for the advice.