Thread: What is seaport.exe

What is seaport.exe

I am windows Xp SP3 user. Few weeks back, i just updated my Windows Live applications. Since than i use to see something running in the background on my machine. I asked some people about it, than i got that its Seaport.exe. What is it ? is it any virus or Trojan ?Please help.

Re: What is seaport.exe

SeaPort.exe is the part of Microsofts Search Enhancement Pack that enables the detection, download, and installation of up-to-date configuration files for Microsoft Search Enhancement applications.It runs automatically and continuously upon startup regardless of whether any searches have been performed or browser windows opened. Indeed, the SeaPort service is set to Automatic. No need to worry about it It’s not a virus, it’s just an application from Microsoft for souping up search.It is a user invoked program and a normal part of PC operations.

It is part of the Windows Live Toolbar and should only be installed as part of that, but there have been conflicting reports as to whether or not this is actually true.It comes bundled with the Windows Live Suite regardless of what options are chosen by the user during installation.nstead, the majority of search results are from panicked users who suddenly discovered a new process running on their PCs and, being able to find no explanation, worried that they had contracted a virus.

Re: What is the use of seaport.exe

I also have seen this on my system's background and was in search what is that exactly. Thats really a great info. I heard about this and i got that use system resource for a dubious benefit and Windows Live applications installs a new automatically running process without making the user know about that. So i need and think its better to disable it. Could you help me out in disabling the same ?

Re: What is the use of seaport.exe

Well, you can disable it in just few steps but remember if seaport is disabled, search enhancement features such as search history may not work correctly. If you wish to disable it now, here is the process:-

1. Open your command prompt from the start menu and type services.msc and press Enter.

2. Now scroll down to the seaport in the newly opened window, right click and select Properties.

3. Here, you'll see a new dialog box opened.Now under General Tab, nest to Start Type select disabled from the dropdown list.

4. Click OK and close the windows.

Thats it..