Thread: How to view m2ts files in Windows Media Center

How to view m2ts files in Windows Media Center

I had some recording in my sony camcorder. The extension of file is .m2ts file also known as AVCHD type file. I copied those file in my computer. I want to view those file through windows media center. As i browse the player cannot play those file. How can i view these files directly from windows media player.

Re: How to view m2ts files in Windows Media Center

You had receive a software CD with your comcorder. This cd includes the software by which you can sync with the computer and view file. It is used to view most of your m2ts files. It also includes basic drivers of your comcorder. I refer that you can use Cyberlink PowerDVD 9, which supports playback of m2ts files. PowerDVD is the software that comes with many CD Rom, DVD Rom, Blue ray drives. It also supports lot of High Denfination formats. It plays most of Blu-ray and HD DVD disc. The latest version of PowerDVD 9 supports windows media center.

You will need to install a ffdshow codec to play you AVCHD files from windows media center. It is a direct show decoding filter for de-compressing a mulitple number of formats including m2ts file. You will need to download the ffdshow file which make a slight changes in the registry of windows. By this process the files can be viewed direclty from the media center.

A simple registry patch in windows will clear out this problem. After the patch you can view you camcorder files from Windows Media Center and Windows Media Player. This will also allow streaming the camcorder files from the media play to the play station. It is compatible with 32/64-bit windows vista including windows media player. You had to take care that the AVCHD files are can only play in windows with latest version of ffdshow and Haali media splitter. Older version will result in crash. A free Media player classic home cinema is good substitute for the above tool. Before doing anything always create a system restore point. Do the following. First Download the registry patch for 32 bit windows and for 64 bit windows. Apply the patch. Restart you system.

wenling85 Guest

The easiest way is to download the related codec to play M2TS file. If for further use, you would need to convert m2ts to avi wmv mpeg, etc. since M2TS file is not so friendly as avi etc.
    Last edited by Yogesh; 27-05-2009 at 02:30 PM. Reason: External links removed and member banned for spamming.

Quote Originally Posted by ThoMas321 View Post
    A simple registry patch in windows will clear out this problem. After the patch you can view you camcorder files from Windows Media Center and Windows Media Player. This will also allow streaming the camcorder files from the media play to the play station. It is compatible with 32/64-bit windows vista including windows media player. You had to take care that the AVCHD files are can only play in windows with latest version of ffdshow and Haali media splitter. Older version will result in crash. A free Media player classic home cinema is good substitute for the above tool. Before doing anything always create a system restore point. Do the following. First Download the registry patch for 32 bit windows and for 64 bit windows. Apply the patch. Restart you system.
    I have a Canon HF11, all recorded files are M2TS format, and WMP crashes when I try to play them. That "download the registry patch" opens just a text file, not an executable file. I'm not very tech savvy, is there an executable file somewhere? Thanks!

william03 Guest

I also think you should install a ffdshow codec to play you AVCHD files from windows media center. Or you can use M2TS codec for Windows Media player.
    Last edited by Rudra; 12-11-2009 at 09:29 AM. Reason: Do Not Post External Links. Read Forum Rules...

Quote Originally Posted by william03 View Post
    I also think you should install a ffdshow codec to play you AVCHD files from windows media center. Or you can use M2TS codec for Windows Media player.
    Thanks william03, that worked and I can now see .M2TS files on WMP11! However, the video and audio is very choppy and slow, pretty much unusable. Are there further tweaks I need to do to the ffdshow settings?

Thanks!

I recommend you to use Windows Media Player Classic, KLM Codec Pack includes Windows Media Player Classic with it...

Quote Originally Posted by CALANTHIA View Post
    I had some recording in my sony camcorder. The extension of file is .m2ts file also known as AVCHD type file. I copied those file in my computer. I want to view those file through windows media center. As i browse the player cannot play those file. How can i view these files directly from windows media player.
    It is common that MTS files can not played on your windows media player.
    The video formats that windows media player supports is WMV,so you have to convert the MTS videos to the format of WMV.

As for the mts converter, i recommend Aunsoft MTS Converter which is professional in converting MTS/M2TS files to other popular video formats like WMV,AVI,MP4,MOV,MKV,FLV, FLAC,MP3,AC3 and ect.

Its advanced video and audio sync technology makes you free from sync issues.

Good luck