Thread: I can't connect to the internet after reformatting windows vista!

I can't connect to the internet after reformatting windows vista!

Hey,
    I just reformatted my main computer with windows Vista, but now I can't connect to the internet. When I use the diagnose tool, it says "This computer does not have a network adapter installed and configured." I have a Modem Telephony Touchstone Modem and a Wireless G broadband router, Model WRT54G. I tried installing the router software, but it says it needs an internet connection? Also, when I go to the command thing and type in ipconfig/all, it says:
    Host Name............................: LaHood-PC
    Primary Dns Suffix...................:
    Node Type.............................: Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled...................: No
    WINS Proxy Enabled.................: No
    My computer is a gateway desktop, model: GT5628
    Right now I am asking this from my laptop which is still connecting to the internet like it always has. Also, I use comcast. Some Plz help!!! I have no idea on what to do!!! Thanks in advance,
    Luke

Re: I can't connect to the internet after reformatting windows vista!

I found out some more details. When I went to the device manager, all three devices under "other devices" have the code 28 code and also have the yellow exclamation mark thingy. The three devices are the Ethernet Controller, PCI Simple Communications controller, and the SM Bus Controller. Under the description where it usually says that this device is working properly it says "The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)
    To reinstall the drivers for this device, click Reinstall Driver." When I click Reinstall Driver, it says Windows could not find driver software for your device. Visit the manufacturer website and check support for driver software. Does gateway provide the drivers? If so, how do I download them to this laptop, and then put them on the computer? Thanks in advance,
    Luke

Install the driver

You may be prompted to provide the path of the driver. Windows may have the driver built-in. If you are asked for the driver and you do not have it, you can try to download the latest driver from the hardware vendor’s Web site.

In the device Properties dialog box, click the Driver tab, and then click Update Driver to start the Hardware Update Wizard. Follow the instructions to install the driver.

1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
    2. Double-click Administrative Tools.
    3. Double-click Computer Management.
    4. Click Device Manager.
    5. Locate any device that has a yellow exclamation mark next to it.
    6. Verify that the device status for the device has the error message that is listed in the "Symptoms" section of this article. To do so:
    1. Right-click the device icon.
    2. Click Properties.
    3. The Device status box lists the error message:
    The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)
    7. Right-click the device icon, click Uninstall and then click OK.

Repeat steps 5 through 7 for each device that has the Code 28 error message.

Quote Originally Posted by JonathanD View Post
    Install the driver

You may be prompted to provide the path of the driver. Windows may have the driver built-in. If you are asked for the driver and you do not have it, you can try to download the latest driver from the hardware vendor’s Web site.

In the device Properties dialog box, click the Driver tab, and then click Update Driver to start the Hardware Update Wizard. Follow the instructions to install the driver.
    yeah, when I try updating it can't find it. I will try and see if vendor has it.

try to re install the drivers for your wireless device..
    i think windows vista having some option for that in their recover manager
    launch the program and repair my computer
    and re install the drivers...but am not really sure about this,if not un install the driver and download from windows site and try

good luck

I am having the same issue...I reinstalled Windows Vista Business and now can not connect to the internet.

ThoMas321...
    Once I follow your steps and get into the Network Controller Properties I have the yellow ! listed in "Other Devices"
    1. Base System Device
    2. Base System Device
    3. Base System Device
    4. Coprocessor
    5. Ethernet Controller
    6. Network Controller
    7. SM Bus Controller
    8. Unkown Device
    9. Unknown Device

I right click and click properties.
    "The driver for this device are not installed (Code 28)

I have not uninstalled these yet...wouldn't I want to reinstall them? If I uninstall what happens after that?

Thanks for your help!

BWE

To start troubleshooting, follow these steps:
    1. Make sure that Device Manager is open, and that the device that has the problem is selected.
    2. Use the Troubleshooting Wizard, if it is available, to help you diagnose and resolve your problem.
      • On the device Properties dialog box, click the General tab.
      • Click Troubleshoot to start the Troubleshooting Wizard. The wizard asks you some simple questions and provides a solution to your problem based on the answers that you provide.
      • Follow the resolution steps provided by the wizard to resolve the problem.
      • Check the Device status area of the device Properties dialog box to see whether the error is resolved.

Now to fix "The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)" error:

Install the driver