Thread: Why? WindowsXP 2002 not booting.

Why? WindowsXP 2002 not booting.

Hello everyone,

Just the other day I had an Asus T series with corrupted files and not booting up Windows. It would run through the first screen (systems test (?)), switch to the black screen with a flashing cursor in the top left and then it would try to go into the Wondows XP start screen. That's where it got stuck. The screen would show black giving some the impression that there was a video card error (at least that is what the computer technician that had a look at it thought).

I plugged in Hiren's 8.6 and tried to get partition magic to do something which it came up with errors. I then got some HD diagonstics on the go and found no errors, therefore it was right to assume the HD wasn't buggered. I started up a the disk doctor and went about googling, on another computer, anything I could to try to find the solution. I came up with a chkdsk solution and cancelled the neverending task of the disk doctor.(I needed a quicker solution). I plugged in a windowsxp disk to try to repair the OS but got into the same problem as before....just couldn't see if it was working or not as the computer would hang in the same place. I decided to try to access chkdsk through DOS.

Through all the DOS shells that I tried to use I couldn't get the chkdsk command to work although I tried every combination to get it on the go but DOS consistently came up with a "bad command error". 5 hours of doddling in total, and my solution came when I clicked ntfsdos pro. The program started up automatically with a chkdsk. Problem solved!!

What did ntfsdos pro do automatically to solve my problem and what portion of the disk did it fix? What could I have been doing wrong to not be able to manually start the chkdsk....would have ChkNTFS or Autochk manually fixed the problem? I don't think it was a problem with syntax as I introduced exactly as I had written down from the websites I had visited....

After 5 gours of dedicated searching, and although quite chuffed that the problem was fixed, I feel unfullfilled that I have learned little from one lucky click on the right program .

Can anyone give me an insight?
    Last edited by BeaverBill; 09-05-2009 at 02:24 PM.

Re: Why? WindowsXP 2002 not booting.

www.winternals.com

This site has all the info you could want on NTFS PRO.

Here i will share some knowledge with you, NTFSDOS pro is a driver that allows DOS to read and write to an NTFS partition.You can use to create, delete and alter NTFS partitions,and it has read-only driver and all you need to copy files on an NTFS partition to a FAT 16 or 32 partition from DOS. As far as I know it does not create or delete NTFS partitions.

The program NTFSDOSPRO allows one to read and write to partitions formatted NTFS when running in DOS. My question is at present hypothetical and relates to a catastrophic registry failure that prevents starting the machine in WINXP in which case I would like to reboot using a simple DOS bootable floppy disk and restore the Registry from ERUNT backups that exist on an NTFS partition.

http://forums.techarena.in/windows-x...rt/1170906.htm