Thread: Need help for vlookup function

Need help for vlookup function

Hello Friends,

I had given an assignment to do, which i need to complete it as soon as possible. I need to have a list of people who has the highest commission for a particular month by using vlookup function. Now, the problem is that i'm having more than one person and if try to add additional box to accomodate for the few of them, i'm getting teh same name in all the three boxes which list out the names on the Excel sheet. I would like to have the vlookup function listing out 3 different person with the same salary for a particular month. Can any body telll me that how can i do so? Kindly provide me the correct logical solution to resolve the above issue. Any kind of help on the above issue would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

Re: Need help for vlookup function

The syntax of a VLookup includes a 'True' or 'False' parameter after the column offset indicator. If it's 'True' or BLANK, the VLookup will find an exact match, or if an exact match is not found, the next largest value that is less than the look_up value. And if 'False' it will return only an exact match if found, or 'N/A' if not found.

Try out the following VLOOKUP code:- VLOOKUP('CC & WEB'!G:G,'CC & WEB'!1:1048576,7, FALSE)

I don't think you need the 'N/A' at the end, and if an exact match is not found then the function will return automatically.

Try out the following steps in order to resolve the above issue.

The combination of MATCH and INDEX functions is better suited for this:

=MATCH(lookupdate,lookup range,0)

This locates the start date's location, returning it's position in the range. Looking for 6-Oct-04 in your list returns a value of 4. The "0" makes it look for an exact match regardless of how your dates are sorted.

Using this result in an INDEX statement retrieves the date:

=INDEX(lookup range,MATCH(lookupdate,lookup range,0),1)

MATCH calculates the row for INDEX and the "1" at the end designates the column. To get subsequent values, increment the MATCH result:

=INDEX(lookup range,MATCH(lookupdate,lookup range,0)+1,1)
    =INDEX(lookup range,MATCH(lookupdate,lookup range,0)+2,1)
    =INDEX(lookup range,MATCH(lookupdate,lookup range,0)+7,1)

Hope so it may help you out.

To use the Function Wizard to insert a VLOOKUP function:

1. Select the cell that will contain the answer to the VLOOKUP and select Insert --> Function.

2. Under the Function Category, choose either All or Lookup & Reference.

3. Under the Function Name, select VLOOKUP, and hit OK.

4. The Function Wizard for VLOOKUP will then display. The 4 values talked about above (lookup_value, table_array, col_index_num, range_lookup) are required by the function. Each line for each value required. If you put the cursor into the first line for lookup_value, down below it explains what the lookup_value is for your reference. Similar information is displayed when the cursor is in any of the other fields.

5. Enter in the lookup_value either by typing in the number for the cell, or, by selecting the cell on the worksheet.

6. Enter in the table_array by typing in the numbers for the cells, or, by selecting the group of cells on the worksheet.

7. Enter in the number for column which contains the data that you wish to obtain in the col_index_num area.

8. Enter into the range_lookup field the value TRUE if the function should accept the closest value to your lookup_value without going over or FALSE if an exact match is required.

9. Hit OK when ready.

You can look at the Help files for VLOOKUP and compare the construction of your formula to both the text description and for the examples