Thread: SolidWorks on Mac, realistic or not? ?

SolidWorks on Mac, realistic or not? ?

The question is simple: Are there any users (in the professional sense of the word) of SolidWorks on a Mac with a Windows partition in BootCamp and / or virtualization. So I'm looking for evidence in this direction. I will have to use the 3D CAD software engineering that I know well (on PC), a new Mac to come. The investment is not insignificant, I would like to know if the case is playable! So far I have all my apps on the Mac and I really did not want to buy a PC (even if it is cheaper): I want to change my older Mac.

I had some answers on other forums, but I prefer expand my scope of investigation.

Thank you in advance

Re: SolidWorks on Mac, realistic or not? ?

I did a search on the side of whether CodeWeavers Crossover Pro could run this app on mac emulator Wine ... And the result is negative! So he is testing you 2 solutions:

1. Using Bootcamp (recommended)

This involves buying a copy of Windows (XP or Vista) and install it as 2nd OS on your mac. (ie, to switch from OS X to XP, you must restart each time)

2.Use a emulator gender or Parallel Fusion

This involves buying a copy of a software emulation and a copy of Windows (any version) and install it as an application in OS X. .. So, no need to restart the mac to start your software but you must start the virtual machine, start Windows in the virtual machine, start the program in windows ....... It has to be long and most importantly, this solution is more expensive because it requires the purchase of Windows and a virtual machine. As you will make the 3D, virtual machine is not the best option because food resources systems and especially that it is a lot of graphical errors (not very good when it's part of 3D)

Conclusion: Using bootcamp for this software and you will only have to restart your Mac to switch from Windows to Mac OS

Thank you for your prompt response. I know neither nor CodeWeavers Crossover Pro Wine about it seems to me that this is an emulation type Virtual PC , but I have confidence in your analysis. Obviously I m equipped in Windows (except Vista!) When the time comes.

I suspected that part of BootCamp I could not hope to run better on Mac SolidWorks. For vitrualisation, Parallels says on its site that is part of SolidWorks Certified logciels as CATIA, Pro / ENG and Autodesk Inventor and more. For against, Parallels has confirmed to me by mail that the latest version 4.0 does not yet support the latest Intel Nehalem, it will realize the next ..

My big question comes from the graphics card: Dassault (editor SW) certifies, from ATI, the Fire GL cards. What about the Radeon HD 4870? These cards are of different types, I can not find a comparison. I asked an Apple, but I am wary of sellers ... Perhaps I could save 2 cards or Mac OSX will it work with a Fire GL to replace the Radeon?

Again thank you,

A petition was launched a few years ago, that is adapted SolidWorks on the Mac. I do not know if it is closed. Http://www.petitiononline.com/SWonMac/petition.html

I know turn to another software is often confusing, not always know if we can import their creations, but in the same genre there is:

- Graphite http://www.ashlar.com/sections/produ.../overview.html

It is still pro software that are not given