Go Back   TechArena Community > Software > Windows Software
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Edit the registry in windows 7 : access denied?

Windows Software

Old 08-05-2009

Edit the registry in windows 7 : access denied?

When I try and edit a value I get the error "cannot write value". When I try and give my self permission to write the values I get "unable to save permissions to (key) Access denied". Ive tried running it in safe mode and normally under the admin account, even going into the windows folder and right clicking rededit and running as admin. Still getting the error. Im using windows 7 RC1.

Old 08-05-2009

Re: Edit the registry in windows 7 : access denied?

I am running it on the admin user.. I stated that in the first post. I tried to authorize the accounts but as I said, it says access denied..
Old 08-05-2009

Hey!
Create a shortcut for "regedit" on desktop. Right-click on it and select "Run As Administrator" This will give you Admin rights while editing registry. If you want you can disable UAC completely from the control panely... All the best!!
Old 08-05-2009

To change the permissions using Regedit

The instructions are as follows.

1.Find the line of code that is failing, for example:

Quote:
Server.CreateObject("MSWC.BrowserType")
The text string, "MSWC.BrowserType", is the ProgID (Program ID).

2.On the Start menu, click Run. At the command prompt, type the following command to start the registry editor:

Quote:
RegEdt32.exe
3.In the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT window, click to expand the ProgID key, and then click CLSID. Record the UUID value of this key. For example, the ClassID for "MSWC.BrowserType" is {0ACE4881-8305-11CF-9427-444553540000}.

4.In the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT window, click to expand the CLSID key, and then select the ClassID entry (UUID). On the Security menu, click Permissions. Make sure that the Everyone entry has Read permission; if not, add this permission entry.

TypeLib

Find TypeLib
Expand the ClassID entry from the preceding step 3, and locate the TypeLib entry beneath it. Record the UUID value, and then proceed to the "Change Permission for TypeLib" section.

Do changes on your own Risk.
Old 09-05-2009

Hi,
I dont think the formal logon to regedit by utilizing RUN command just it's the solo step to change the administrative feature of the regedit ,but i've encountered that one time ago ,so go to the following file on C:\windows\system32\group policy\gpt.cnfg , and change the administrative privilge to full access.

hope that will help you

please refer back to me if you get solution from my reply.

Thanks
Old 18-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by pctgroupeng View Post
C:\windows\system32\group policy\gpt.cnfg

Under this folder "group policy" it says folder is empty.

I have tried every possible thing mentioned, no matter what I do my registry says access denied. I didn't know I had this problem until I had an issue trying to zip a folder. When I seen it wasn't possible I searched to find out how to enable it. I tried downloading the registry files people posted and it always came up can not access file. Then I tried manually changing the files which is when I ran into this problem.

I tried run as admin, I tried accessing the folder above, which doesn't exist.

What next?
Old 01-07-2011

I had the same problem. I found the solution here, which was to change the owner. I changed the owner to Administrators and then I was able to grant the permissions.

TechArena Community > Software > Windows Software
Tags: , ,