Thread: Question on Virtual Machines

Question on Virtual Machines

Hello, recently I use a virtual machine from a live CD ubuntu (http://www.virtualbox.org/) but I wonder if that was possible since this machine running the OS that is on the hard disk (I live CD), while remaining on a live CD, ubuntu ...

Re: Question on Virtual Machines

You want to run operating systems? Windows?

Yeah ... Because I prefer ubuntu but software are not compatible, and I do not want to reformat the whole

So if I understand correctly, you want to launch a virtual machine with ubuntu on it, and then restart in a virtual machine for your primary operating system in it?

I want to be in the ubuntu live CD but not in a virtual machine then from the live CD run the OS that is on the HDD

I think this is imposible, The live cd is just for demonstration. you use it all the time the live ubuntu cd?

Yes, I think that is possible, even if it should be hot at the RAM in booting LiveCD, install VMWare in RAM and run Windows in there (I hope you have 8GB of RAM in your machine is ). With a USB drive or a bootable LiveCD (DVD?) With the necessary software installed on it already seems more feasible.

I myself tried something similar with VMWare idea of a dual-boot XP / Ubuntu, and the launch of XP in virtual machine from Ubuntu to take advantage of my Windows software.

But honestly, I quickly dropped, the performance was just miserable (15 minutes against boot XP in boot 3 "Material") and many problems on the part of Windows that valued way of a machine with some real hardware and its drivers, a virtual machine that used other drivers, even using the hardware profiles.

My story stopped me trying to tweak the drivers for XP hard drive to increase perfs. Experience which resulted in an upgrade of Windows which made me a beautiful blue screen on startup after the actual attempt.

In short, George is fresh, sweet George, but George is really not practical.