Thread: Minimize, maximize and close buttons not working

Minimize, maximize and close buttons not working

My wife is facing a problem with her Laptop is that while she click and hold the minimize/maximize/close button of any window, the window stops receiving any messages. The window sticks there & does not happen anything.

She has installed windows 7 recently & facing the same with it.

Can anyone Help me ?

Re: Minimize, maximize and close buttons not working

I think a repair install will be the only sure fire way to sort it, as this is such a strange problem. Have you tried rolling back your PC to when it worked using system restore?

Something like that would be a Beta bug, and it's highly unlikely to get fixed by something we can get at. About all we can do is test this to see if others are getting the same behavior or not, and either confirm it's a cross-platform bug or something that's a bit more machine specific.

Ok. This is an easy fix Try this.

Try double click on any button, if it works. If that doesn't, then you might not be, but still try this:

1. Try to update, including the optional ones. You can do this by going to Start>Control Panel>System and Security>Windows Update>Then, you should see (if there are any) "1 optional update ready for install" or something like that. Click that, select the updates, and download and install them.

2. Verify your device drivers are fully updated. Lets update the mouse driver. You can do this by going to Start>Control Panel>All Control Panel Items>Mouse>Hardware>Properties>Change Settings (it has a little shield next to it)>Driver>Update Driver>Search Automatically for Updated Driver Software.

3. You can do this for any device. Just follow the "Properties>Change Settings (it has a little shield next to it)>Driver>Update Driver>Search Automatically for Updated Driver Software" part while you're at your device management. Hope this helped! If you need anything more, just post and I guarantee someone will help you.

Also, right clicking on a program in the taskbar doesn't give me the little shortcut menu. And I can't resize any explorer window or ie window! I have been using keyboard shortcuts but this is my mother's computer she uses for her business and she isn't very computer literate. I noticed as well that non microsft programs' buttons work just fine. Resolving this issue is a priority.

OR

We can check this by checking the “Performance and Reliability Monitor”. In most cases this will give us a starting point to find out what your software and hardware are doing together.

Also, if you would please. Let us know what your RAM and CPU are.

Please follow the directions below to achieve the test and information. And please also follow the “Clean Boot” then test your system to see how it is reacting. It’s not that the buttons are not “working” it’s that there is something loading the “Kernel” of the system causing it to perform your command slower then you are used to.

Performance and Reliability Monitor:

Click start, to search, type in Performance and Reliability, after booting the Performance and Reliability Monitor, click on “Reliability Monitor”, look in the system support section on the right side. If you can see what has failed, then you know what to search for and remove.

Here is a link to start testing for this problem, it’s called “Clean Boot”. If there is a program booting with the system and it’s a dead program, this might “temporarily” take it out so you can do a “boot”.. When the system reboots, see how well it runs, and go from there.

If this works, you will want to go back in to “MSCONFIG” and look at what was booting to see if you can figure out what program it was. You do not want to just run your computer in “Clean Boot” all the time, you might need againJ

Let’s start there and see how that works, then we will move on.

"Activate a window by hovering over it with the mouse" feature was broken. As I was taking steps to fix it, it started working. I don't know what particular step fixed it but here is what I did:

Went to windows update and installed updates (including Office service pack 2. I think the problem was fixed during or after this, but it could have been something else I was doing in parallel or one of the other updates)

Did the steps in the clean boot procedure above, but never actually rebooted (the problem fixed itself before I had a chance)

Uninstalled every program I could find in my control panel that I didn't use.