Thread: Windows 7 System showing less RAM

Windows 7 System showing less RAM

Hi All !

I recently installed windows 7 & was working fine but when saw the specification of my computer it just showed me less RAM then i have installed.
    I was wondering that how can windows get such a big error in it...??

Please Help...!

Re: Windows 7 System showing less RAM

How much Ram u have installed & how much it is showing..?

I am using 6 GB Ram & its showing me just 4 GB.

Is it fault in my Ram or its just a bug by windows....???

There should be an option on more modern boards called ''memory remap'', this locks out the RAM thats needed by the system so it cant be used, disabling it will make it open to universal use... its not much, but it all adds up.

Your boards may not support this feature, but if it does it will be hidden in the ''advanced options'' somewhere..... just make sure its enabled & you can eliminate this as an issue...

There's also the option to enable PAE or the Physical Address Extension.

Physical Address Extension

Physical Address Extension (PAE) enables x86 processors to access up to 64 GB of physical memory and x64 processors to access up to 1024 GB of physical memory. PAE is supported by 32-bit Windows Server systems to enable access to up to 128 GB of physical memory. However, note that each process on 32-bit Windows is still limited to a 4 GB virtual address space. For details, see Memory Limits for Windows Releases.

PAE also enables several advanced system and processor features, including hardware-enabled Data Execution Prevention (DEP), non-uniform memory access (NUMA), and the ability to add memory to a system while it is running (hot-add memory).

With PAE, the operating system moves from two-level linear address translation to three-level address translation. The extra layer of translation provides access to physical memory beyond 4 GB. Instead of a linear address being split into three separate fields for indexing into memory tables, it is split into four separate fields: a 2-bit field, two 9-bit fields, and a 12-bit field that corresponds to the page size implemented by Intel Architecture (4 KB).

System Support for PAE

• PAE is supported only on 32-bit versions of Windows; 64-bit versions of Windows do not support PAE. The following Windows releases support PAE:
    • Windows Server 2008 (32-bit only)
    • Windows Vista (32-bit only)
    • Windows Server 2003 (32-bit only)
    • Windows XP (32-bit only)
    • Windows 2000 Datacenter Server
    • Windows 2000 Advanced Server

Enabling PAE

On most computers, PAE is disabled by default. (PAE is enabled by default only if DEP is enabled on a computer that supports hardware-enabled DEP, or if the computer is configured for hot-add memory devices in memory ranges beyond 4 GB.) PAE must be explicitly enabled for Windows to run in NUMA mode on a NUMA-capable computer.

To enable PAE, use the BCDEdit /set command to set the pae boot entry option.

• Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP/2000: To enable PAE, use the /PAE switch in the Boot.ini file. To disable PAE, use the /NOPAE switch.

Comparing PAE and other Large Memory Support

PAE, 4-gigabyte tuning (4GT), and Address Windowing Extensions (AWE) serve different purposes and can be used independently of each other:

• PAE allows the operating system to access and use more than 4 GB of physical memory.
    • 4GT increases the portion of the virtual address space that is available to a process from 2 GB to up to 3 GB.
    • AWE is a set of APIs that allows a process to allocate nonpaged physical memory and then dynamically map portions of this memory into the virtual address space of the process.

When neither 4GT nor AWE are being used, the amount of physical memory that a single 32-bit process can use is limited by the size of its address space (2 GB). In this case, a PAE-enabled system can still make use of more than 4 GB of RAM to run multiple processes at the same time or to cache file data in memory.

4GT can be used with or without PAE. However, some versions of Windows limit the maximum amount of physical memory that can be supported when 4GT is used. On such systems, booting with 4GT enabled causes the operating system to ignore any memory in excess of the limit.

AWE does not require PAE or 4GT but is often used together with PAE to allocate more than 4 GB of physical memory from a single 32-bit process.

Check in bios to see if it shows all, could be one stick is faulty. Check that they are firmly seated and side clamps are engaged in the slots in the side of the sticks.

OR

I know this is basic and you have probably already checked. But have you checked your motherboard manual to see what bays it says you need to put the chips into for it to recognize 96 meg. May be the 64 needs to be in slot 1 and the two 16s in another or the 32 in a particular spot. I do not know how your sticks of memory are. But all I could do is tell you what I think I might know.

Hope this helps.