Thread: How to use Microsoft Applocale in Vista

How to use Microsoft Applocale in Vista

I have vista on my computer & is just upgraded from XP. But i am facing an error with a Microsoft utility "Applocale" during installation period, It says that it can't complete the installation. Firstly i thought it's the problem with the setup so i downloaded it directly from the Microsoft. But still it didn't installed it.

Does anyone know what the problem is about...??

Dowloaded Site

PLEASE HELP..!

Re: How to use Microsoft Applocale in Vista

For all the people who have been asking for applocale for vista. Please see this easy 3 step solution to applocale (it is built in to Vista)

Warning : This changes the Language in which programs are installed and ran (However it will not change your computer language) make sure you have installed the language you need for the locale from Windows Update before changing your locale.

Step 1. Get to Control Panel and click on “Regional and language options” or (if on Category view) “Clock Language and Region” and then “Regional and language options”.

Step 2. Click on administrative tab in the Regional settings.

Step 3. choose your Locale.

DONE.

To Install Microsoft Applocale Utility in Windows Vista follow the following Article :

Microsoft Applocale is a utility that allows Unicode (UTF-16) based Windows XP and 2003 users to run non-Unicode legacy (code-page based) applications without changing the current system locale. Applocale automatically detects language for non-Unicode program and simulates a corresponding system locale for code-page to/from Unicode conversions. Although Applocale not yet been updated for Vista, it can be used without any issue. However, when trying to install Applocale in Windows Vista, the following error will occur.

"There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel and package vendor."

Installation Incomplete

The installer was interrupted before Microsoft Applocale could be installed. You need to restart the installer to try again.

• Click “Close” to exit.

The installation problem is likely caused by User Account Control security measure. If you turn off User Account Control, the error likely to go away and Applocale can be installed properly. However, here is another workaround that do not need you to take security risk by disabling UAC.
    1. Run an elevated command prompt by right clicking on Command Prompt on Start Menu and then select “Run as Administrator”.

2. Click on Continue when User Account Control dialog prompt comes out.

3. Change directory to the folder where you put the apploc.msi Windows Installer Package.

4. Type apploc.msi to start the setup.

5. The Applocale installation will complete successfully.

If you really want to run Applocale; you need to run it as an elevated command. I needed to install it for some Japanese programs I use, and have found that the following solution helps.

1. Right Click on the Command Prompt option on the Start Menu and choose Run as administrator.

2. Click Continue when the User Account Control dialog comes up (assuming you have UAC activated).

3. From the Command Prompt, just run X:\Directory\apploc.msi (where X is the drive and "Directory" is your directory path) and it should install without any trouble at all. Hope this helps.

Of course, bear in mind that this is a workaround - not a permanent fix, which is much more desirable. I would strongly suggest (as I did) make a System Restore point before you attempt this.