Thread: How can turn off/Disable Windows Photo Gallery

How can turn off/Disable Windows Photo Gallery

Hi i am having a Vista Computer at my home. As you all know that it comes with many new features one of them is Windows Photo Gallery. i have a another image viewer , but whenever i open image it opens with windows photo gallery, which i dont want. So i need to Turn off or i need to uninstall the windows photo gallery from my system. Please help me to remove it.

Re: How can turn off/Disable Windows Photo Gallery

Just right click on the image you want to open and where it says "open with" choose the program of your choice. This will then become the default program for opening that type of image.

Well you can turn off or disable the windows photo gallery with some changes in registry. to do so, follow this steps:-
    • Click on start and type “regedit” in the “Run”.

• Click on “Continue” in the next window to open the registry.

• Now go to the folder:-

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\.ico\ShellEx\ContextMenuHandlers\ShellImagePreview.

• Highlight the ShellImagePreview key, select File → Export, type a filename, and click Save to back up this Registry key.

• Delete the ShellImagePreview key and close the Registry Editor when you're done.

Thats it.. Windows Photo gallery is now disabled

I think there is no need to disable Windows Gallery as its very useful feature in Vista. Changing the option in Open with is the easiest way to make any program as default

question Re: How can turn off/Disable Windows Photo Gallery

hi i am ashish
    Quote Originally Posted by Santy View Post
    having a Vista Computer at my home. As you all know that it comes with many new features one of them is Windows Photo Gallery. i have a another image viewer , but whenever i open image it opens with windows photo gallery, which i dont want. So i need to Turn off or i need to uninstall the windows photo gallery from my system. Please help me to remove it.

Quote Originally Posted by Macarenas View Post
    Well you can turn off or disable the windows photo gallery with some changes in registry. to do so, follow this steps:-
    • Click on start and type “regedit” in the “Run”.

• Click on “Continue” in the next window to open the registry.

• Now go to the folder:-

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\.ico\ShellEx\ContextMenuHandlers\ShellImagePreview.

• Highlight the ShellImagePreview key, select File → Export, type a filename, and click Save to back up this Registry key.

• Delete the ShellImagePreview key and close the Registry Editor when you're done.

Thats it.. Windows Photo gallery is now disabled
    Didn't work...

Quote Originally Posted by DXMan View Post
    Didn't work...
    I think what you need to do is, for example, if you are viewing .jpg files, make the desired program the one you want to use as the default for that file extension. It's very easy to do, but rather than type it out here just go to this link:

But remember, from now on you'll never open up gallery (just in case there are some things you like about) again unless you change the default back. The thing I don't like about gallery for starters is when it searches for tags...it takes so long to get it up and running. I'm trying to figure out how to stop the 'searching for tags' function myself right now.

idea Re: How can turn off/Disable Windows Photo Gallery

Lets make this easier. Right click on an image...select "Open with " (right arrow)...go to the bottom where it reads "Select default program".

The list of accommodating programs will pop up...or you might have to search deeper in the directory strucure for it depending where on the hard drive it is located.

This worked for me in the past...but I switched back to Gallery using the same method.