Thread: cannot enable internet sharing XP (to share) vista (to recieve)

cannot enable internet sharing XP (to share) vista (to recieve)

I'm trying to use my XP computer to share internet with my vista computer (rather then spend too much money on a wireless card for my vista computer)

I've set up my network, and they have limited access.. that I can deal with but when I go to enable internet sharing on my XP computer, I get the error message "an error occurred while internet connection sharing was being enabled. the specified service does not exist as an installed service"

I've tried all the tips I could find but none of them addressed this problem and I'm not sure what else I'm supposed to do.

any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

unsure Re: cannot enable internet sharing XP (to share) vista (to recieve)

There is an alternative to buying a wireless card. If you have an ethernet card installed in the computer connect a category 5e cable to a router and install the router and then retry the sharing option. but when you create the connection create ethier a VPN or LAN and see if it will go. Or try to connect to the internet using DHCP. (Dynamic Hosting Configuration Protocol) Or are you connecting the internet through TCP/IP?

Note: both computers must be able to connect to the same network and be online in order to enable it. And check the hardware options and feel free to get back to me if you have any more questions or problems.

hope this helps,
    lwefers

Re: cannot enable internet sharing XP (to share) vista (to recieve)

To enable Internet Connection Sharing on a network connection, follow theses steps:

1. Click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Network Connections.
    2. Click the local area network (LAN) connection or click the dial-up networking connection that you want to share (that is, the one that connects to the Internet), and then under Network Tasks, click Change settings of this connection.
    3. On the Advanced tab, click to select the Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection check box.
    4. If this is a dial-up networking connection, and you want the connection to be automatically dialed when another computer on your network tries to connect to the Internet, click to select the Establish a dial-up connection whenever a computer on my network attempts to access the Internet check box.
    5. If you want to permit other network users to enable or to disable the shared Internet connection, click to select the Allow other network users to control or disable the shared Internet connection check box.
    6. Under Internet Connection Sharing in Home networking connection, select the connection that connects the computer that is sharing its Internet connection to the other computers on your network.

Note that to enable Internet Connection Sharing in Windows XP, you must have administrative rights.

Let's see this for Vista and XP with Vista being the host.

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

searchlight Guest

Are you trying to share the network with the other computer or
    do you want to configure the internet sharing option on your computer, if you want the LAN then go to control panel and select network connections, then set up the usergroup network
    it will work