Thread: How to remove Apple's Bonjour service

How to remove Apple's Bonjour service

I Have installed Adobe CS3 package & some how it has installed Apple's Bonjour Service & now i cannot delete it either nor i can remove it from control pannel.

Can anyone Help with it...?

Re: How to remove Apple's Bonjour service

How to remove Bonjour Service

Adobe newest Creative Suite 3 installs Apple’s Bonjour service even if you don’t install Version Cue. Its main goal is to provide zero-configuration connectivity between Version Cue server and the suite’s applications.

When installed by Creative Suite 3 applications, the name used by Bonjour for Windows in the services control panel is:

##Id_String2.6844F930_1628_4223_B5CC_5BB94B879762##

If you are using Version Cue, you can correct the service name just by running two commands at a run prompt box (Start - Run):

• “C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe” -remove

• “C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe” -install

The service will now be displayed with the correct name in the Services control panel.

But if you don’t need it, you can get rid of it easily. Just follow this simple steps:

• Open a Windows Run prompt box (Start - Run) and type the following command: “C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe” -remove

• Navigate to the following folder in Windows Explorer: C:\Program Files\Bonjour

• Rename the mdnsNSP.dll file in that folder to mdnsNSP.old

• Restart your computer

• Delete the the Program Files\Bonjour folder

Here's my definite guide to removing the (annoying) Apple Bonjour service from your Windows Vista.

You'll find that it has been installed silently by a.o. Adobe CS3 installations (Photoshop CS3, Illustrator CS3, etc), because Adobe feels it is necessary for the Version Cue functionality (even for stand-alone functionality).

1. Identify if Bonjour is installed:

From the Start menu, select Control Panel, and then type services. Click on the View local services link in the Administrative Tools group.

If the first line in the list of services looks similar to ##Id_String2.6844F930_1628_4223_B5CC_5BB94B879762##, you have Bonjour on your system. You may now close the Services window.

2. Open a command prompt with Administrative privileges:
    In the Start menu, type cmd and press Control-Shift-Enter!

You'll have to confirm this operation:

3. Execute the following commands:

• cd "\Program Files\Bonjour"
    • mDNSResponder.exe -remove
    • ren mdnsNSP.dll mdnsNSP.old

4. Finally...
    Close the command box and restart the computer, then delete the Bonjour folder from the \Program Files\ folder.
    Goodbye Bonjour!

Note from Adobe: Removing Bonjour prevents Version Cue clients (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Flash, Bridge) from automatically discovering Version Cue Servers and Version Cue projects in your local network. You will need to connect manually using Connect to Server and the URL or IP address of the machine running Version Cue Server instead

Raine,

Thank you. It never mentions doing the command prompt as an administrator on Adobe's site (Adobe CS3 and Bonjour for Windows), so I was ripping my hair out trying to remove this garbage so I could get rid of the stupid additional 0.0.0.0 gateway address.

Also, you should note in your definitive guide that the path to Bonjour on Windows 7 x64 is:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Bonjour\
    Franco Emilie Sidonia