Thread: User Profile Migration

User Profile Migration

We have build a new domain and created new user accounts from scrattch. We are currently using our old domain, all of our users using roaming profiles, user profile are stored on the FS which is in the old domain. My next step is to copy over all the user profile folders, I do not want to save any security settings and permissions, I'm looking for the tool that will copy the profiles over to the new domain and regenerate new SIDs for them. Please help!

Re: User Profile Migration

Follow this steps:

1. You first need to create an account in Domain B.

2. Logon this computer to Domain B by using this newly created account. This creates the user profile for this account on this computer.

3. When you use the newly created account to logon to DomainB on the same computer, the previous user profile's name will NOT be changed. The NEWLY created account's profile name will be CHANGED to USER1.DomainB. They are both located in C:\documents and settings.

4. Log off the newly created account and then logon as a local administrator/Domain Admin, copy all the files and folders in C:\documents and settings\USER1\ to C:\documents and settings\USER1.DomainB. Click Yes to all when you are prompted with any dialog box.

5. Log off the local administrator and then logon as USER1 in DomainB.
    With great power comes great responsibility - Spiderman's Uncle

The Greatest Sig Ever

Hey!
    Well, i guess here is what you looking for :
    • Log off the client whose profile is being copied. This synchronizes any roaming profile data, if present, and closes all files.
    • Log on as local administrator to the workstation and navigate to: Control Panel/System and click on the “User Profiles” tab
    • Select the profile to be copied. If the user domain to which this profile is to be copied is trusted to the current domain select the ‘Change’ button and save the profile with correct permissions assigned. If not the ACLs can be modified later.
    • Copy it somewhere accessible from the new location. (Can be on the network or a local directory.)
    • Log out as administrator and log on to the workstation where the new profile is to be created as the user for whom you are creating the profile. (If you are migrating to a new domain on the same workstation and creating a new profile change workstation domains now and log in to the users account there.)
    • Log the user back out again (leaving behind a default profile).
    • Log in as local administrator and copy the saved profile over top of the newly created profile so it inherits the correct ACLs of that new user.
    • Log the user back in again and clean up any stray shortcuts/quick-launch icons/ background-image-references and Start-Menu items for example if the files they point at no longer exist or have moved.

You can use Microsoft Windows User State Migration Tool (USMT) 3.0 to migrate user files and settings during large deployments of Microsoft Windows XP and Microsoft Windows Vista operating systems. USMT captures desktop, and application settings, as well as user accounts and users' files, and then migrates them to a new Windows installation. Using USMT can help you improve and simplify your migration process. You can use USMT for both side-by-side and wipe-and-load migrations.

Thank you every one for suggestions, we have around 100 user profiles stored on a file server, users are using roaming profiles, I need to transfer this profiles to a file server in our new domain. I do not need to save any permissions and security settings for user profiles. I want to copy over all profile folders and change their SIDs. I was wondering if there a tool or a software available that will automate this prosess?