Thread: MSN Live: Audio problem

MSN Live: Audio problem

I am having Vista Home Premium & have MSN Live running in it. the problem with messenger is that i am not getting audio output from it. I have WLM 8ver. installed. Windows firewall is off, but there is a firewall in the Netgear Router I believe which came with IOL.

Please Help...!

Re: MSN Live: Audio problem

This is a known problem with messenger and Vista, and you can resolve it using this work around:

1. Start a voice call only; the sliders should then be active

2. Request the other persons webcam once voice is active.

3. When you can see their cam, send your own.

The work around (beacuse I don't really know what is causing it) is to make sure the "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device" and "Give exclusive mode applications priority" are unchecked in Volume Settings. In Vista, right click on the Volume Icon (little speaker on system tray) and hit "Playback Devices". This opens up the Speaker properties. Under the advanced tab there is the "Exclusive Mode" section for unchecking access to other applications.

My theory is that another application has "control" so that when you try to adjust the volume, the changed setting are immediately overwritten. These exclusive control functions are also under the recording devices settings and advanced tab for the microphone as well (I unchecked them and my Mic controls work again).

Note, make sure any webcam, IM, winamp, etc devices that might be trying to control volume settings are off when you re-set the controls. It took a specific sequence of having the check boxes there, seeing the problem, turning off applications, unchecking the boxes, and re-starting the applications. I hope this helps some other poor souls out there!

Make sure per app volume is not turned down for Windows Live Messenger. Click the Volume icon in the Notification area > click Mixer make that Windows Live Messenger is not muted or turned down.

I use to have video and audio chats on win messenger, and it worked pretty well until we decided to load msn messenger. They look alike but they are different programs. After we loaded 6.1 we had nothing but trouble. You could possibly uninstall msn messenger 6.1, and just use windows messenger that came with your xp os. The only problem is that if you use msn as you internet provider, and you use msn explorer version 8.0 or higher it will not allow msn explorer to work if you uninstall msn messenger 6.1. It is really irritating. Sometimes (msn messenger) and (windows messenger) can be in conflict is they run at the same time.

I was having a major problem with the Audio/Video communication capabilities of MSN Messenger.

There are two ways of having an Audio/Video conversation with MSN Messenger – (1) Adding Audio and Video to an IM and (2) Video Conferencing. With option (1) – Video was never a problem, adding Audio was an issue, the Audio did not work correctly; the main problem was two-way Audio communication; my contacts could see and hear me but I could only see them. With option (2) – my contacts could see and hear me but I could not see or hear them. I have spent seven (7) months trying to resolve this problem. I have contacted every vendor involved on my computer seeking help and advise – Microsoft, MSN, Dell, Logitech, Linksys, McAfee and Time Warner Cable; they were not very supportive nor very helpful, so through trial and error and with the help of others like myself who have spent much time trying to resolve the same issue, I have finally been able to have Audio/Video conversations with my contacts. It is still not as perfect as I would like it to be, but it does work (I will share my disappointments a little later and perhaps someone else can address those issues for me). I have documented everything I have done because I thought it might be helpful to others trying to trouble-shoot their systems and could possibly save them some valuable time (plus I just got tired of reiterating everything I have done to everyone I spoke with trying to resolve this issue and it was just easier to email a system’s configuration list). Let me share with you some information – below are the system configurations (hardware & software) and what I have done to address the problem and get MSN Messenger’s Audio/Video Communication feature to work.

Basic information which may help you resolve or trouble-shoot your MSN Messenger Audio/Video communication problems:

1. All parties are using Windows XP Professional OS, SP-2.

2. All parties are using MSN Messenger – v7.0.0777.

3. All parties are using High Speed Broadband Cable Internet Connections.

4. All parties are using Logitech Quick Cam Messenger (Cameras with built in microphones), Software – v8.4.1.

5. All parties have the latest version of DirectX – v9.0c.

6. All parties have Disabled IPSec.

7. All parties have Cleared QoS Packet Scheduler.

8. Two of us are using Laptop Computers the rest are using Desktop Computers.

a. Most are Dell models and the rest are IBM, HP, & Toshiba models.

9. Two of us are using Wireless Routers:

a. Linksys Wireless-G Routers – Model WRT54GS – Firmware – v3.37.2

1. With Linksys Wireless–G Notebook Adapters – Model WPC54GS.

b. The router’s UDP and TCP Ports – 443, 1503–1530, 1863, 1900, 3389, & 5004–65535 are Enabled.

c. The router’s UPnP is Disabled.

d. DMZ Host IP address is set to computer’s IP address and Enabled.

10. The Security Software on the computers is McAfee Security Center – Personal Firewall Plus and Norton Anti–Virus 2003.

11. McAfee Personal Firewall Plus – Uninstalled.

12. McAfee Privacy Service – Uninstalled.

13. Windows XP UPnP – Enabled.

14. Windows Firewall – Enabled.

15. Registry Key Edit –

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\MSNMESSENGER –
    Change the Server setting to – messenger.hotmail.com;80

16. All parties have installed All of the Windows XP, MSN Messenger, Logitech, Linksys, McAfee, and Norton Upgrades; everyone is current with All upgrades.

17. All parties Check For and Remove Spyware and Virus’s Regularly (at least once a month).

Known Issues:

1. There is a conflict between Microsoft XP UPnP and Linksys Wireless Router UPnP. Refer to: Linksys Easy Answers – Answer ID – 614. That is why the ports on the Linksys router need to be enabled. If this know conflict is resolved all we should have to do is just enable the UPnP on the Linksys router and in Windows XP. Keep pressure on Linksys and Microsoft to resolve this issue, your inquiries will draw attention and possible action.

2. There is a conflict between McAfee Privacy Service and MSN Messenger and other software applications.

3. Multiple Firewalls can cause disruptions with the Audio/Video stream. It is advised to only use one firewall on your system. Uninstall all but one, disabling does not seem to fix the problem.

Open Issues:

1. Video Conference works the best for having an Audio/Video conversation with my contacts. Audio and Video are in sync; picture quality is good, but not great.

2. When adding Audio & Video to an IM, the picture quality is better but the Audio and Video is not in sync; which is distracting and annoying.

3. This sync issue may be because of how each communication option streams the Audio & Video and may also affect the picture quality??

4. We are getting some Audio feedback and back ground noise which is distracting and annoying also, this is happening with both Video Conference and adding Audio & Video to an IM. We all have the same cameras with built in microphones and use our system speakers which could be causing some of this problem, but to go to headsets would not allow for group conferencing nor allow total mobility. I have not tried the headset option yet to see if that eliminates the feedback and back ground noise.