Thread: How to redirect shared folders in Windows XP ?

How to redirect shared folders in Windows XP ?

hie,

I have Windows XP as my operating system. I have kept some folder comprising about 12 GB as shared folders over the network. These folders are located at different locations by default in my computer. I want to redirect all of them as per my convenience. How can I relocate these shared folders ?
    plz help...

Re: How to redirect shared folders in Windows XP ?

The Shared Documents link shown in the My Computer window, is just a pointer to another folder. Its location, by default is set as %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Documents. If you want to redirect the Shared folders to a different drive or a network path,
    follow the steps -

Note: - The %allusersprofile% placeholder represents the path to the All Users profile folder, which is usually C:\Documents and Settings\All Users.

Relocating the Shared Documents folder

• Click Start, Run and type regedit.exe
    • Navigate to the following branch:
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Explorer \ User Shell Folders
    • In the right-pane, look for the entry named Common Documents and double-click it. To relocate the shared documents folder, type the new path (say D:\SharedDocs) in the text box provided. The default Value data is %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Documents

Rename and Relocate Shared Documents for Quick Home Networking Access

Follow these steps:

1. Create a folder you want to have "Shared Documents" point to. It can be anywhere on your system. A suggestion would be: "My Network Folders" located on a seperate drive dedicated for sharing if available.

2. Rename "Shared Documents" in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users to the name you want to appear in "My Computer" and "Other Places" It must be the same name as the Folder you created in Step 1.

3 Open regedit

4 Go to : My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders

5 Edit the value of "Common Documents" to the path of the folder you created in Step 1

6 Go to : My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

7 Edit the value of "Common Documents" to the path of the folder you created in Step 1

8 YOU MUST REBOOT IMMEDIATELY AFTER CLOSING REGEDIT FOR SETTINGS TO TAKE EFFECT.

Thats it! Enjoy this tweak and finally make use of the "Shared Documents" Icon [Now Personalized] in "My Computer" for quick access to shared Home Networking Files.

Relocating the sub-folders of Shared Documents - To relocate the Shared Music, Shared Pictures and Shared Video folders along with Shared Documents, navigate to the following registry branch:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Explorer \ User Shell Folders

In the right pane, do the following:

Create a REG_SZ value named CommonMusic and set the path
    Create a REG_SZ value named CommonPictures and set the path
    Create a REG_SZ value named CommonVideo and set the path

Logoff and login back.
    The shared folders are now redirected successfully.