Thread: How to update and back up Brightmail 7.7.0-17

How to update and back up Brightmail 7.7.0-17

I have been using brightmail since a few year ‘s now and in this few years, I have never thought of upgrading it to a newer version. But a few days back when I opened up my Brightmail it pop out a link to update the software. The reason why, I am worried is, I have all my contacts and important mails stored in it. So while updating there might be a problem which may cause me to lose my data. Can someone please tell me the update procedure? And also the steps that I need to take in order to back up the contacts and mails (just in case there is a problem).

Re: How to update and back up Brightmail 7.7.0-17

There are two ways of updating the Brightmail one form the command line and the other from the GUI (graphical user interface) . Since you have not been updated your system since ages then there is no direct way to update it to the latest version which is 9.0 release .To see this your software must be fist upgraded to 8.0.3 so that it can see the further updates of the products. This changes are needed to be made because of the introduction of the LDAP system in the 9.0 version. Once you have updated to 9.0 versions then you might further upgrade your system to 9.5.1 release for better use of services.

Hey, dude you did not mention your systems configuration that you are using. They are important as they decide the capacity of your system to handle the release. As there are lot of changes made between the versions of 7.0 to 9.0 or 9.5. Like if you have your LDAP enabled in the system for your 7.0 version , then that might just won ‘t work with 8.0 as the whole LDAP system is been completely re-designed in 8.0. I suggest you to run LDAP first in VM and then try it out on the system

Tell me about the architecture of the system on which the software is working on, because the archicture you are working on would affect the working of the system .By working of the architecture I mean the number of scanner and printers attracted, Mail Volume Number of local domain’s And what your back –end Mail server is ? Also tell me if your LDAP or AD is running or not .

I am just having a printer and a scanner on my LAN which is inturn connected with the 2 domain ,which comes from two different sections ( i.e Two sections sharing a common printer and scanner ) I would also like to know what should I need to do in order to transfer my license from 7.0 to 9.5 . And I now prefer to upgrade to 9.5 as there lot of information available for it (for backup). Is there anything that I need to consider before transferring my license?

I think the best way to upgrade Is to put your Brightmail 9.5 into VM and then run it , as it would take all the pre –settings made by you on your version 7.0 to 9.0 . the latest version of Brightmail (i.e. 9.5) look completely different from the older version , that s the reason why it makes you re-think about the policies you made previously .TO get you product re-licensed you will need to have an .slf file . The .slf file provides license based on number of user and not on the basis on number peripherals attached .So you don ‘t need to worry about them.