Thread: defragment & chkdsk error

defragment & chkdsk error

Hi All!

As the title says i have a problem with defragment of C Drive. It gives me error saying "disk defragmenter has detected that chkdsk is scheduled to run on Volume; ( C please run chkdsk /f )". Then i tried checking the scheduled task & it didnt showed anything while booting.

Can any one Help with this...!

Re: defragment & chkdsk error

Try to check for adware and spyware if you dont have one download ad-aware6 at downloads.com after install update then scan if still having problem check to on startup on msconfig, click start then run type msconfig then click on startup tab try to see if there save.exe running on startup if so uncheck it then restart. to make sure do ad-aware scan.

The reason your computer wont allow drive C: to be checked is because it is what Windows is running from. Windows will *never* be able to check drive C: while it is running.

However, what is expected when you hit "Y" is that it would run checkdisk before windows loads up. However, it appears as though it is completely skipping that step for some reason.

Doing the chkdsk from the recovery console is the right thing to do. It sounds like you'll be fine. It is common for chkdsk to 'find problems' even when there aren't any.

One further note.. regardless of the outcome.. you should check for spyware/adware as mentioned earlier.

Try the following solution :

1. Grab your Windows XP CD and put it in the drive

2. Restart your computer. When asked to "Press any key to continue..." press a key!

3. Windows setup will begin to load some drivers, then you'll be prompted with a screen with two options... To install Windows XP or Repair using the Recovery Console

4. Press 'R' to start the Recovery Console.

5. You will be prompted to log onto a windows installation. (Type the number and enter your administrator password, or leave it blank)

6. Once logged in, you will be sitting at a command prompt similar to "C:\WINDOWS\>"

7. At the prompt, type chkdsk /r and the drive will be scanned for errors/repaired

8. Once complete (may be a few minutes to a few hours), type EXIT at the prompt and leave the Recovery Console

Yes, use chkdsk /r at Start|Run and then enter Y when it asks if you want it to run at next restart of the computer/Windows. This will try to recover bad sectors, and also implies /f (fix).

Let me know if that helps.

So I searched google, came across here, and tried the solution. Which was to Run chkdsk with the parameters /f (which I read on microsoft's help site means simply FIX PROBLEMS), and then when told the volume was in use (which makes sense considering i'm using my computer) to say YES to running after a reboot. So theoretically before window's starts up again and brings me to my user sign in page, CHKDSK should have run and fixed everything. I don't know how long this is supposed to take but if it's the same as SCANDISK on win98, it doesn't take TOO long, but my boot up took no longer than normal. And then when I tried to analyze my C drive through disk defragmenter (I've also tried with Norton disk fixer program as well), the error still came up. Which leads me to beleive the CHKDSK never ran on bootup.

I don't know. i'm totally lost here. I belevie this could be due to some virus hiding in my computer and telling certain files and programs not to work or to work improperly. As well said viruses may also be telling my norton not to work properly because I've ran scans and came up with nothing. Seeing that I haven't been able to defragment in a couple months, I'm starting to have a lot of processor problems with my computer and I would really appreciate if someone would be able to help me. Nothing I've read online has helped yet because the only solution I have come across is the "click yes to run chkdsk on reboot" solution.