Thread: How to recover deleted recycle bin in vista

How to recover deleted recycle bin in vista

Hi All!

I was working on my friends computer to access my mails. Then i downloaded some private attachments to his computer but after completing my work i was trying to delete my files from his computer but mistakenly i deleted the recycle bin from his computer.

Can anyone help me retrieving the recycle bin from vista ?

Please Help....!

Re: How to get deleted recycle bin in vista

Step 1 : Right click with your mouse anywhere on the computer screen and choose PERSONALIZE from the menu that pops up.

Step 2 : Select CHANGE DESKTOP ITEMS from the left side pane.

Step 3 : Check the RECYCLE BIN box from the top right pane of the small pop up menu.

Why People Delete the Recycle Bin
    An understanding of why people delete their recycle bin will help us prevent further occurrences of this problem.

It seems to me that Microsoft have tried to provide extra features for Vista in general, and for the Recycle Bin in particular. Unfortunately, in the case of the Recycle Bin they underestimated users' ability to read and understand the menus.

Confusion is caused by the two options, 'Delete' or 'Empty Recycle Bin'. When people decide to empty their rubbish, their brain is already thinking 'delete'. So when they see the word 'Delete' on the bin's shortcut menu, they click on that instead of looking for the option to 'Empty Recycle Bin'.

As a result of making the wrong choice, the user is surprised when the Recycle Bin disappears from the desktop! Incidentally, the reason this deleted recycle bin problem has suddenly surfaced, is that in XP you cannot delete the Recycle Bin in the manner described above. The overall message is: more features mean more chances of making a mistake.

Quick Instructions to Find the Lost Recycle Bin

1) Right click the Vista Desktop
    2) Click on Personalize
    3) Select: 'Change desktop icons'
    4) At the Desktop Icon Settings, place a tick next to: 'Recycle Bin'.

Incidentally, my friend 'Mad' Mick has a novel suggestion. Instead of worrying about the deleted bin, just delete the User! If only life were this simple.

Registry Tweak to Effect a Permanent Cure

Example 1: Remove Delete from the Recycle Bin Properties
    Here is an ideal solution for when you have an incompetent user, who keep on deleting their Recycle Bin, and then pesters you to cure their clumsiness. My mission is to edit the registry and re-program the Recycle Bin's short cut menu.

1. Launch regedit through run from start menu.
    2. In Regedit, navigate to the following key:
      HKCR\CLSID\{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}
    3. To create a new registry Key called 'Shell', click on the Edit Menu, New, select: Key and name it 'Shell'. You should now have:
      HKCR\CLSID\{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}\Shell
    4. Under Shell create a new (Sub) Key called 'Delete'. Click on the Edit Menu, New, select: Key. You should now have:
      HKCR\CLSID\{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}\Shell\Delete
    5. Edit the 'Default' REG_SZ, as this is just a string value for display you could set to anything you like, for example 'YourName's Indestructible Bin'.

Conclusion

What you have done is replace a working function called 'Delete', with a cosmetic label called Xyz's Indestructible Bin. The sole purpose is to prevent users pressing 'Delete' and thus losing their Recycle Bin.

Symptom

When you logon to your user account, the Recycle Bin icon may be missing from the Desktop. Also, when you open the Desktop Icon Settings dialog, the Recycle Bin checkbox may be grayed out and unchecked.

Resolution

To restore the Recycle Bin icon to the Desktop (for standalone Windows Vista systems), you may use the registry fix available for download from the Attachments section below. Download showrecyclebin.reg and save it to the Desktop. Right-click on the file and then choose Merge. Click Yes to confirm.

If you have lost your recycle bin from your desk top on windows vista then the follwoing might help

Basically The Recycle Bin does not appear on the desktop in Windows Vista or in Windows XP. Therefore, you cannot use the Recycle Bin to do such tasks as restoring a file that was deleted. Hopfully we can help you make the Recycle Bin work again.

Several issues could cause this problem:

1. A third-party program was used to hide the Recycle Bin.
    2. The TweakUI program was used to hide the Recycle Bin.
    3. The registry information for the Recycle Bin was deleted.
    4. A Group Policy setting was used to hide the Recycle Bin.
    5. You can automatically fix the problem by downloading this file from Microsoft.

Or if you prefer the manual method -

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
    2. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
    3. Locate the following registry key:
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace
    4. Right-click the registry key that you located in step 3, point to New, and then click Key.
    5. Type {645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}, and then press ENTER.
    6. Click the new {645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E} key that you created in step 5.
    7. In the right pane, double-click the (Default) entry.
    8. In the Edit String dialog box, type Recycle Bin in the Value data box, and then click OK.
    9. Close Registry Editor.
    10. If you cannot restore the Recycle Bin by using the resolutions that are listed above, you can work around this issue by creating a shortcut to the Recycle Bin:

Note: This doesnt restore full functionality but will restore most

1. Click Start, and then click My Computer.
    2. On the Tools menu, click Folder Options.
    3. Click the View tab, and then click to clear the Hide protected operating system files (Recommended) check box.
    4. Click Yes when you receive the warning message, and then click OK to close the Folder Options dialog box.
    5. Click Folders on the toolbar.
    6. Note If Folders is not visible on the toolbar, point to Toolbars on the View menu, and then click Standard Buttons.
    7. In the left navigation pane, under Folders, locate the Recycle Bin folder, and then drag the Recycle Bin folder to the desktop.
    8. On the Tools menu, click Folder Options.
    9. Click the View tab, and then click to select the Hide protected operating system files (Recommended) check box. Click OK.