Thread: How to transfer Outlook 2007 emails from XP to Vista

How to transfer Outlook 2007 emails from XP to Vista

Hello,
    So far, I used 2 PC. One with windows XP and the other with vista. On all 2, I use outlook 2007. So I have messages on both the PC. Now I dont want to use the PC running XP and want to use Vista infact. My concern is to retain and transfer all emails from XP PC to Vista PC without affecting the mail already in it.
    Can anyone help me? Thank you
    I need a better sig...PM me.

Re: How to transfer Outlook 2007 emails from XP to Vista

If you go File >import you will see the list of applications from which you can import messages and settings. "Outlook" is one of the options. I expect the fact that only "Outlook" is listed rather than specific (recent) versions, it should be taken to mean "any version of outlook". It does list Outlook 6 separately

Windows Mail is the new "Outlook Express" equivalent in Vista, and Outlook 2007 is the newest Office email app, so it should be expected the two can work together.

I just tried importing message to Windows Mail from Outlook 2007 (albeit on the same machine running Vista) but Windows Mail will import Outlook 2007 message (and I expect mail box settings etc) without too much trouble.

However if you're trying to transfer messages and settings from one PC with XP/Outlook 2007 to another PC with Vista/Windows Mail then you probably need to do the "Export" routine in Outlook 2007 (or use the "Files and Settings Transfer Wizard" in XP), and then import with the same equivalent tool in Vista.

More specifically, the experts at the Outlook (2007) or Office (2007) groups may be able to help, or the Windows Mail group as you've posted to the Vista General group, and your question is more about email than about using Vista itself.

Here's one way to migrate from Outlook 2003 to Outlook 2007 on Vista:

1.Connect both computers(old & new) to the same network

2. Create an empty new shared folder on your old machine that is
    readable & writable by all users.

3. Verify you can connect to the shared folder from your Vista
    machine.(push Winkey+R, then type
    \\machine_name\shared_folder_name).

4. Create a new folder on the share & delete the new folder as a test.

5. Run Programs | System Tools | Windows Easy Transfer with both machines connected the network & step through the wizard.

6. Go do something else for several hours while both of your computers are running the transfer.

7. When the transfer is completed create a new mail settings profile on the Vista machine from control panel - enable the option to be prompted for which mail profile to be used upon Outlook 2007 startup.

8. Start Outlook 2007 using the new profile. Manually input your email account settings.

9. Open up the .PST file that was (hopefully) copied over from your Windows Easy Transfer. Manually copy (that's right - one subfolder or group at a time) your items from the old .PST file into your new Outlook profile. Don't try to copy the parent Inbox folder or you'll get an error message _after_ the copy fails. You'll need to _Select All_ the individual emails in the parent Inbox folder and copy them to your new Inbox folder. Afterward any child folders of the parent Inbox folder can be copied.

10. Once you've copied over your Contacts, Calendar Items, Tasks, Notes, and emails you'll need to make sure your contacts are used as Address Book lookups from the To: field in new messages.

11. Right Click on a contact folder >> choose Properties >> Outlook Address Book >> Show this folder as an e-mail Address Book. Repeat for any additional Contacts folders to be used for addressing e-mail.

Both Outlook 2007 and Outlook 2003 use .pst files and this is independent from th eoperating system used. To make a PST export from Outlook 2007 that can be used in Outlook 2003 and earlier, follow the below procedure. If I have misunderstood your question or have not posted a completed solution, please advise so that I may address.

1. On the File menu, click Import And Export. If the menu item is not available, hover your pointer over the chevrons at the bottom of the menu, and then click Import and Export.
    2. Click Export To File, and then click Next.
    3. Click Personal Folder File (.pst) , and then click Next.
    4. Click the folder that you want to export the .pst file to, and then click Next.
    5. Click the Browse button, and then select the location to save the .pst file.
    6. In the File Name box, type a descriptive file name for the .pst file, and then click OK.
    7. Click Finish.

Simple,....Identify the mail store folder by control panel---> mail ----> Data File.
    Then go to appropriate .pst file and take back up that...then restore that on new machine

Thank you all for your great help.
    I need a better sig...PM me.

searchlight Guest

You can always configure your windows mail in Windows Vista for the same email address that you had configured in outlok for windows XP and all your mails will come to windows mail in Vista

Hi all, just adding to the questions, is there an easy way for a novice to transfer existing emails on a Vista laptop to a new Windows 7 laptop? Thanks

You just need to follow the instructions, This is easier then giving you detailed steps where you could go wrong or miss one and have it not work. Vista offers default sharing folder called "PUBLIC." This is similar to "Shared Documents" on XP. Make sure that XP is sharing at least one folder, i.e. Shared Documents, and do the same with Vista. Finally, it's easy to transfer documents, folders, etc., from one system to the other is easy. Microsoft created a transfer wizard (with a USB cable) that does just that, however, you pretty much have all the tools already to do the same thing (in fact, it even faster without the Microsoft program).