Thread: How to speed up Outlook 2007

How to speed up Outlook 2007

Hi friends,
    Does anyone have any real ways to speed up Office 2007? Especially Outlook. It takes more than a minute to open a .doc or .xls attachment Outlook in is extremely slow, almost unworkable. Can anyone help?

Thank you in advance.

Re: How to speed up Outlook 2007

Following these steps:
    • Open Outlook as an Administrator by going to C: Programs/Microsoft Office/Office12
    • Right click on the Outlook exe program and choose “Run as Administrator”
    • In Outlook go to Tools > Trust Center >Addins
    • Click “Go” at the bottom and uncheck Outlookaddins

To maximize speed, they recommended to uncheck everything EXCEPT Windows Indexing, which, according to them, is the only useful addin.

Install Microsoft Update for Outlook 2007. Before you start optimizing Outlook for speed, go ahead and install update from Microsoft. Update for Outlook 2007 fixes a problem in which a calendar item that is marked as private is opened if it is found by using the Search Desktop feature. The update also fixes performance issues that occur when you work with items in a large .pst file or .ost file.

Following points will help you to speed up Outlook 2007:
    Use Outlook 2007 in Online Mode instead of in Cache mode
    If you don’t use Outlook with Exchange, you can skip this tip. I don’t want to get too technical on this, but in essence, when using Outlook in Offline Mode, you minimize the size of the Outlook Offline Folder files (known as .ost). This will speed up your Outlook 2007 startup.

Remove RSS feeds from the default send or receive configuration
    It is recommended that your remove RSS feeds from your default Outlook send/receive configuration. Following steps will show you to remove:
    • In Outlook 2007, click Tools => Options
    • Navigate to the Mail setup tab
    • Press Send/Receive
    • Highlight All Accounts and click Edit
    • Check the Include the selected Account in this group
    • Uncheck RSS Feeds
    • Click OK and close

Also check this link: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=932086

Check if you have any tool bars installed or if you have installed windows desktop search...If u have installed desktop search and BCM slows down outlook Try disabling windows desktop search by going to start-->run-->services.msc and looking for windows search or something like that and then open the properties and then disable the services for the same and restart your computer and have a check it should take care of the isue

Hey frnd, thanks a lot for this suggestion. I checked and I have not installed windows desktop search or anything like that. I have google tool bar installed in my browser. Does that affect the speed of outlook? Also, what is BCM?

Yes please Uninstall the Google tool bar and BCM is Business contact manager for outlook

Okay. I will uninstall Google tool bar and see if that affects the working of my Outlook 2007. I dont have BCM installed so thats not the worrying factor. Thank you for the reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Rafiq View Post
    Okay. I will uninstall Google tool bar and see if that affects the working of my Outlook 2007. I dont have BCM installed so thats not the worrying factor. Thank you for the reply.

Hi rafiq...
    your welcome

If it does not affect check if there is any other addin installed or check the size of the pst file and let me know I will give a few more steps

I just found this thread and I am having a similar problem, Outlook 2007 is slow when moving from email to email and sometime when deleting emails. The uses is using outlook in cache mode and has a 3 gig ost file. Does anyone know of anything other than reducing the size of the OST file, users refuses to eliminate email, that might help the speed?