Thread: IE8 automatic update enable and disable

IE8 automatic update enable and disable

hi few days ago i read about IE8 automatic update going to start in few days that users with Automatic Updates turned on may receive something .well here i want to know how i can enable that updates and also tell me how to disable it? thank you

Re: IE8 automatic update enable and disable

hi i think while installing IE8 , by default automatic update is enable so i think you need not to enable it..

Last January, Microsoft began distributing for larger enterprises an IE8 Blocker Toolkit, a policy-based mechanism enabling admins to prevent their clients' automatic updates from receiving the Welcome Message package if they elect to remain with IE7 (or earlier). However, general users need not download this toolkit if they want to block the automatic update themselves. As the instructions reveal, the policy simply creates a new Registry key,
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Setup\8.0\DoNotAllowIE80.
    If that key exists and its value is set to 1, then automatic distribution of the IE8 Welcome package will be blocked, according to the company.

How the AU delivery will work
    For Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 users

* AU will notify you when IE8 is ready to install. You will also be able to visit Windows Update or Microsoft Update sites and manually install IE8 update by performing an “Express” scan for high-priority updates.

When Windows Update starts installing IE8, you will see the IE8 welcome screen

To proceed with the installation, decide on whether or not you’d like to participate in our Customer Improvement Program and click Install. If you choose Ask me later, WU will re-offer IE8 to you during the next update scan. If you choose Don’t Install, WU will not offer IE8 to you again, and IE8 will appear as an optional item on Windows Update.

For Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 Users

* AU will notify you when IE8 is ready to install. You can click on the bubble to launch IE8 installation. You can also install IE8 from Windows Update manually by typing Windows Update in the command prompt and checking for updates.

When Windows Update starts installing IE8, you will see the IE8 welcome screen

To proceed with the installation, click Install. If you choose Ask me later, WU will re-offer IE8 to you during the next update scan. If you choose Don’t Install, WU will not offer IE8 to you again, and IE8 will appear as an optional item on Windows Update.

Note: The IE8 Welcome screens are still in draft form and are subject to change by the time IE8 is distributed via WU/AU.

If you configure the IE8 Blocker Toolkit setting to prevent users from installing IE8 via WU/AU, IE8 will not appear in the list of available high priority or important updates. We believe this approach strikes a good balance by helping customers become more secure and letting organizations control when they are ready to deploy IE8 to their users.

Get the Internet Explorer 8 Blocker Toolkit:

Download details: Toolkit to Disable Automatic Delivery of Internet Explorer 8

Toolkit Components

After downloading it, you’ll find that the toolkit contains two components:

* An executable blocker script
    * A Group Policy Administrative Template (.ADM file)

Blocker Script

The script creates a registry key and sets the associated value to block or unblock (depending on the command-line option used) automatic delivery of Internet Explorer 8 on either the local machine or a remote target machine.

Registry key path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Setup\8.0
    Key value name: DoNotAllowIE80

* When the key value name is not defined, distribution is not blocked.
    * When the key value name is set to 0, distribution is not blocked.
    * When the key value name is set to 1, distribution is blocked.

The script has the following command-line syntax:

IE80Blocker.cmd [<machine name>] [/B] [/U] [/H]

The <machine name> parameter is optional. If not specified, the action is performed on the local machine.

Switches used by the script are mutually exclusive and only the first valid switch from a given command is acted on. The Script can be run multiple times on the same machine without problem.

* /B - Blocks distribution
    * /U - Unblocks distribution
    * /H or /? - Displays the help