Thread: ms access 2003 user rights

ms access 2003 user rights

I've created a database in access 2003 and is used by a lot of my office colleagues. This file is completely made up of forms and I don't want them to modify the structure of the forms or view the queries or the relationships. In short I just want them to update and view the details in the database but not view the source or the structure. My question is how do I do it ? Also can I create users with different ids and passwords just like a windows login system.

Thanks.

Re: ms access 2003 user rights

hello , yes u can do it easily just create a new user login for your database which u want to grant restricted access to.Goto your database -> user -> select the new user's properties --> goto permission. From there you can control the access of all tables.

What I have always done in multi-user environments is to Split the database. One database has all the tables and that is put on a network drive that everyone can read/write to. The other database has all the forms, reports, etc. (Queries can go in either) and then link to the tables on the network drive.

If there are a number of users, typically I have them all map the network connection to the same drive so that when I do the link it works on everyone's system.

This allows everyone to have their own copy of the application and share the data.

BTW there is a tool for splitting the database. (menu Tools > Database Utilities > database splitter)

Quote Originally Posted by expertz View Post
    What I have always done in multi-user environments is to Split the database. One database has all the tables and that is put on a network drive that everyone can read/write to. The other database has all the forms, reports, etc. (Queries can go in either) and then link to the tables on the network drive.

If there are a number of users, typically I have them all map the network connection to the same drive so that when I do the link it works on everyone's system.

This allows everyone to have their own copy of the application and share the data.

BTW there is a tool for splitting the database. (menu Tools > Database Utilities > database splitter)

Can u please give me the complete procedure ? I would like to create multiple instances of the file so as to share it with my colleagues via LAN. And also I would like to give them their own user ids and passwords without letting them modify or view the structure of the original database.

I did manage to split the database. Now it has given me 2 files, one which shows only the tables and the other (the original) which shows the tables, queries and forms. I actually wanted the replica to only show forms but it shows only tables.

You can try with another user. Go to database and make new user.

Quote Originally Posted by manish07 View Post
    You can try with another user. Go to database and make new user.
    kindly give me a step by step procedure.