Thread: How do i retrieve lost file

sad How do i retrieve lost file

Hello Friends,

Recently i had given an assignment, which i had completed by spending the whole day at home. The problem is that it was sent in a word format in form of an attachment sent from my work computer to my home pc. I had saved the document by pressing "save" rather than going for "save as" option. Now the problem is that i can not find the file anywhere on my pc. Does any body knows where my file has been disappear from my pc? Can any body tell me that how do i retrieve the file back on my system? Can any body help me out to resolve the above issue? Any help on the issue would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Re: How do i retrieve lost file

Providing there is a clean restore point that was created before the mishap, system restore will return the computer to the state it was in at the time of creation, that's right data files included. I speak from personal experience, but if there are any other doubters, just check in XP help for 'System Restore" and see for yourself.

Undelete Plus is a quick and effective way to restore accidentally deleted files. It can also recover files that have been emptied from the Recycle Bin, permanently deleted files within Windows using the Shift + Delete, and files that have been deleted from within a Command Prompt.

Just go to your search for files or folders, than put the name of your file. Give it some few seconds and it will locate your document on the screen.

The best thing to do is search your temp folders. If you have opened an Excel spreasheet from an e-mail and never do a save-as... then the location of your spreadsheet never moves from the temp directory to your local directory. As suggested above do a search for *.xls, change your advanced options to alls files and folders including invisible folders, and then sort the list by modified date. The latest file should be your spreadsheet.

The original document might not have been removed from the computer. Follow these steps to see whether you can find the document:

1. Click Start, and then click Search.
    2. In the lower-left corner of the Windows Desktop Search pane, click Click here to use Search Companion, if that option is listed.
    3. In the Search Companion pane, click All Files and Folders.
    4. In the All or part of the file name box, type the name of the document that you want to find.
    5. In the Look in box, click My Computer, and then click Search.

If the search details pane does not contain the document that you are looking for, you might have typed the file name incorrectly or the document might have a different name. Follow these steps to search for all Word documents:

1. In the Search Companion pane, click Start a new search.
    2. Click All files and folders, and then copy and paste (or type) the following text into the All or part of the file name: box, and then click Search.
    *.doc

Smart Undelete is fast, quickly recovering deleted files that were accidentally deleted, files deleted by application programs, or files that were in removed directories. The software works swiftly and competently, retrieving lost data from floppy disks or hard drives on your computer and restoring the data to the original directories.

Smart Undelete can recover deleted files that were deleted before you installed the utility. The software protects your deleted files and can run from a floppy disk without installation on your hard disk. This feature eliminates the risk of your deleted files from being overwritten and damaged beyond retrieval before you can restore them. A multi-tasked, intelligent utility that supports data loss recovery from FAT and NTFS file systems, Smart Undelete not only quickly retrieves lost files, but also gives you useful information, like a list of files, after scanning your system. Smart Undelete then summarizes the scan information in a status report listing the files the software can restore, highlighting the condition the files are in, and assessing the chances of recovery.

You can also try out this link:- Recover deleted or changed files on Windows Vista

This procedure might help you out to resolve the above issue.