Thread: Microsoft Virtual PC or VirtualBox?

Microsoft Virtual PC or VirtualBox?

Hi ,
    I am presently using Microsoft Virtual PC 2007, but was wondering what virtualization software everyone preferred.Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 started giving me lot of problems like No smooth mouse integration. You need to click inside the virtual operating system for the mouse to be effective inside and need to press “Right Alt” key to come out of virtual os. I was actually thinking of trying out VirtualBox, but wasn't sure if it's better, worse, or just comparable to Microsoft Virtual PC. Any recommendations and suggestions are appreciated.

Re: Microsoft Virtual PC or VirtualBox?

hi,
    I have been using Virtual PC 2007 for over a year now and from what I know it has ‘mouse integration’, you install the ‘Integrated mouse’ and the features that allow you to access USB devices after you have installed your support Guest OS by selection from the Menu: Action > Install or Update Virtual Machine Additions.

you could load your virtual pc, ghost that install and then recover the ghost into VirtualBox but that would be difficult. It seems Virtual PC does not support USB so you couldn't copy the data out to a device that could be used to copy the data in to a VirtualBox Guest OS.

The 5 main reasons why you should use VirtualBox:
    • Mouse Integration - Nothing can beat the feeling of not having to search for your mouse when you switch OS and the cursor moving at different speeds.
    • Share Folder - There might be third-party software out there, but this feature comes with VirtualBox. Simple installation and your Windows files are available on Linux. Nothing change except the OS.
    • Super lightweight - Self-explaination. The smallest VM I ever seen.
    • Free as in free beer - According to Andrew Min, VMware has free version but it's slower compared to it's professional edition. Thus, the VirtualBox takes the crown.
    • Easy and Fast - It takes me less than 30 mins to download, install and setup everything.