Thread: Unable to read avi files

angry Unable to read avi files

Hey Guys,

Recently i had downloaded couple of movies on my system. The problem is that when i try to play them, my BS player is unable to read it. Even i tried to play them by using some different palyer, but the result was the same. This type of problem is only with avi files, but other files work absolutely fine on my system. I don't know why i'm having such problem on my pc. Can any body help me out to resolve the above issue? Any kind of help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Re: Unable to read avi files

Avi is a very general file type. There are many different codecs to it so your system may probably does not have the correct codec installed. See if you can find what codec the file requires from the Google website.

Here’s some things you can do to make sure xvid handles xvid videos only.
    • If you don’t have xvid, download it from free download websites. That’s the xvid binaries.
    • If you have xvid, or once you have it, go to your start menu, find xvid, and choose 'configure decoder'. make sure all the boxes are unchecked.
    • If you have divx 5, go to your start menu and find the 'decoder configuration utility'. Look under 'quality settings' and uncheck the box 'support generic mpeg-4'
    • If you have 3ivx, find 3ivx config in your start menu, then go to video decoder, directshow priority, and uncheck all the boxes.

At that point I’m pretty sure xvid avi’s will be handled by the xvid codec only.

The other issue could be with the particular codec pack you are using. By default, Windows Media Player should be able to play AVI files without any codec pack. However, sometimes installing a third-party codec pack will fix the issue.

My favorite codec pack that works very well is K-Lite Codec Pack. It’s got all the latest codecs and doesn’t conflict with other software on your system. You may also want to try installing ffdshow.